Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How much grain in a 5 Gallon Mash Tun Converted Cooler?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Oaky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much grain in a 5 Gallon Mash Tun Converted Cooler?

So I just picked up two 5G coolers that I'm converting to mash tun. I'm going to start out with grain bags. Yes.... slippery slope to all grain.

So instead of figuring this out myself, can one of you tell me how much grain I can realistically put into a 5G upright cooler? (the get the football coach a Gatorade shower kind.)
Also it would be great to know how many quarts of water and any practical related advice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
jaba
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The "Can I Mash It?" calculator on this page http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml will tell you how much grain you can squeeze into your tun and at what water ratio.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
Oaky
Recipes 

TY - exactly what I needed. Great tool.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 503 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just be aware Oaky, just cause you can mash it, ya still have to sparge, which will take additional volume.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
Oaky
Recipes 

By that you mean I should account for the additional volume from sparging in my total batch calculation? If I use 10 pds of grain it shows that it would be 4 gallon - which I would think leaves me with 1G to spare - which seems like more than enough for sparge and possibly some other stuff (LME/DME etc.) does that seem about right?

Old 04-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

why would you put DME in your mash??

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 04-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
Oaky
Recipes 

I was trying to see whether I could make a higher gravity beer with one of these 5G - from what I can see I can do about 4G for a 10 pd of grain combo. I'm going to have to add some additional fermentable to reach 6-7% and above... That's why I'm trying to figure out how many pounds of grain. Seeing I have 2 of these coolers I may not need to supplement DME/LME afterwards.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaky View Post
By that you mean I should account for the additional volume from sparging in my total batch calculation? If I use 10 pds of grain it shows that it would be 4 gallon - which I would think leaves me with 1G to spare - which seems like more than enough for sparge and possibly some other stuff (LME/DME etc.) does that seem about right?
Well, kind of. If you batch sparge, you can drain all of the first runnings, which will free up some space. Since you HAVE to have water in the mash, you will never fill the tun to the brim with grain. You may have to double batch sparge, or even triple if you really stuff the thing full. When making a really large batch with my 5 gal tun, I would go for a slightly thicker mash, drain the tun after the rests, then add as much water as I could, drain (repeat) until I used all of my sparge water. If you fly sparge, you will want to account a little bit of dead space so your aren't in fear of overflowing too easily.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:03 AM   #9
Oaky
Recipes 

OK. so I looked up all kind of videos on both fly and batch sparging. So let me make sure I understand this - based on the calculation of grain and water - I get that into the cooler, set the temp say at 150 and close it for an hour seeking to maintain that temp. From there - I drain the running and then sparge (with batch I would just add more hot water - like 185 or so?) until I get to the desired volume? The fly sparge looks a bit freaky. Now - do you recirculate the wort as a sparge? I think I saw that (or is that fly sparging?) Sry.. kind of noobish questions but the videos I saw did not explain fly sparging well.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #10
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

In addition to the Rackers.org calculator, I wrote a slightly different "how much can I mash" calculator. Instead of putting in the amount of grain you want to mash, you put in the size of your vessel and it tells you how much grain you can fit. Basically it answers your question directly without trial-and-error

You can find it here. At 1.25 qt/lb, you can mash 12.8# of grain in your 5-gallon cooler.

-Joe

Tags
5 gallon cooler, mash tun

Quick Reply