Help with all grain equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolv

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to ask for some advice with the equipment me and my brewingbuddy has acumulated over the past year, we would like to transition to all grain but are unsure of method and use.

See we have an electric mash tun of 2k watts, maybe.. 7.6 gallon
attachment.php

which we would like to mash in before we move the wort over to our cookpot of 6.6 gallon using simply that little tap on the mash tun.

The pot, with some stuff stored in it...
attachment.php

Now we wonder if its a good idea to use a strainer bag to contain the malt within it in the mash tun, so that when we later transfer to the pot through the bazooka filter on the tap, we dont clog everything up and also burn the malt on the heater element.
We would also recycle some wort over the mash to gain a little efficiency. The bag is a little small, but we'll make due...

Illustration, look closely for the bazooka filter..
attachment.php

We would have to add the remaining required water over the mash to make up for a small mash tun.

Can we do this and succeed to some measure? I know it probably isn't very impressive but it's what we've got :)

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I've not quite worked out how to hide attatchments, if I even can so lo and behold, double the images.

If the grains are in direct contact with the element, then yes, use the filter bag, but make sure it doesn't touch the element.
As far a re-circulating for efficiency, it's not needed. Re-circulation is a method used to maintain temperatures. If you get cold spots while mashing, then re-circulation could help, but if not, then I wouldn't do it. It will depend on if your MT is insulated. If it's insulated, then you probably won't have to do anything.
If not, just stirring the mash every 15 minutes will probably be fine.

Back