Helles decoction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LagerLover24

Reaction score
I plan on brewing the Helles recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. It calls for melanoidin malt, but this just seems wrong to me. I know a decoction mash is the authentic way of getting that malty Helles character. Do you guys think decoction mashing is worth it? Also, how will it effect my efficiency? The malt I will be using is well modified.

I've only done it once. The only two things I can say are: it will darken the beer and it will add an hour or two to your brew day.

I really like the idea of decocting. I've used just a single decoction in a Maibock and Altbier and I notice a great malty flavor ( even in the over attenuated Altbier).

Kaiser has some good info http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Decoction_Mashing

I think for a lighter color beer use a thinner amount from the main mash and boil for less time.

As far as I know you won't really affect your efficiency as the majority of enzymes will remain in the main mash, and will get mixed back up when you add back the decocted part.

I don't think a decoction is necessary for a Helles. I've done plenty of Helles batches, some with single decoctions, some with a Hochkurz step mash. I've never used Melanoidin malt... only German Pilsener malt and Cara-Pils. They were all very malty and I didn't taste any noticeable difference between the decocted Helles and the non-decocted Helles.

Any question regarding decoction mashing will bring up the infinite back and forth of opinions on the subject. There is no definitive answer, LL24. I wouldn't brew a Helles or most any German style for that matter other than by the decoction method but there are just as many who say the opposite. So flip a coin and start brewing.

I'll be brewing this recipe next weekend. No decoction.

What yeast are you using? Can't decide between the Munich or W34/70.

Let us know how it goes.

I'll be brewing this recipe next weekend. No decoction.

What yeast are you using? Can't decide between the Munich or W34/70.

Let us know how it goes.

I used 34/70 recently... not really what I had in mind. Drinkable but not great - then again I am not a Lager lover and I swear to stick to ales in the future.

I remember hearing a podcast on such a topic. I believe it was something on the Brewing Network. They did a comparision of decoction vs melanoidin malt, and if i remember correctly they COULD tell there was a difference, but it was so slight that the difference could only be determined when the beers were side-by-side.

They said that in-and-of-itself, a beer made with melanoidin malt was equal to that of a decocted on. I've tried decocting before and their podcast convinced me that any of my bocks in the future will be using the melanoidin malt as a sub.

Back