grain costs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mordantly

Reaction score
Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never t
so i wonna try ag. i have scaled a fat tire clone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
78.8 9.10 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
5.6 0.65 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
5.2 0.60 lbs. Crystal 10L America 1.035 10
5.2 0.60 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10
4.0 0.46 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
1.2 0.14 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 200

but it's about $20 for the grains and $16 to ship at midwest. whats the deal. where can i buy these by the pound and not get hosed on shipping?

dude just git the grain mill and buy in bulk... thats what i would do if every time i brewed if it costs a ton per batch on shipping

Or try www.brewmasterswarehouse.com. you can make a recipe on their recipebuilder and order exactly what you need. they have $6.99 flat rate shipping. if you use their recipebuilder you can get a 10% discount by being a homebrewtalk.com member. bbbyo is the code you use for the discount. i just ordered from them for the first time and was incredibly pleased by how speedy they were. i received everything within 4 days of ordering and i live in ny. they are really on top of their stuff. also, their prices are really good.

Morebeer has free shiping. I don't know about all grain prices. You show in So Cal:) they have a store in Riverside, but they ship from their main shop in Concord. I've gotten a lot of stuff from them and been happy. They blow away the LHBS on most prices. (I just paid $4.95 for Safale 05 at Homebrewmart. Didn't see it on the bill till after I left).

Nice avatar by the by:)

Oh, a lot of the Homebrew clubs buy in bulk and have a club mill. The only AG I've done was with my club on borrowed equip. I think the 2 row was like 59 cents a pound.

I took the liberty to add up the grains from Brewmasterswarehouse.com and it came to $14.15 plus shipping, as others have said you can use the BBBYO coupon if you put it in the recipe databank and get your cost down to $12.74. One nice think about BMW is you can order oz of the grain instead of having to get full or sometimes half pounds that go to waste. Also, whats the deal with all the decimals in your recipe, at least convert them to the nearest ounce. BTW, I ordered some stuff Saturday night on BMW and it already shipped this morning.

Since you are on the west coast, next time buy enough for a couple of batches. Morebeer has free shipping on $59 or more (large, cheap, bulk sacks of grain and large hardware excepted). Seems like I always needed a stopper or two, caps, or something that would just get me into the free ship or other discount mode.

But I have a grain crusher now, so I bought bulk grain, a few pounds of hops direct and several smaller flavor grains. Efficiency is up and won't be buying more grain or hops for many, many batches now.

Planning ahead on what you are going to brew can save you a lot.

Back