Forgot to add grain until final runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rundownhouse

Reaction score
So I had a brain fart this morning and left 1lb of Belgian aromatic out of my mash this morning. It's about 9% of the grain bill. I batch sparge, so I rest for 60m, mash out if needed, then collect first runnings, add sparge water, collect second runnings, add sparge water, and collect my final runnings. I discovered my mistake right after I started collecting my final runnings.

I stopped runoff, I ran the pound through the mill real quick and dumped it in, and now I'm letting it sit for about 15 minutes. Just from eyeballing, it looks like there's in the neighborhood of 1-1.25q/lb mixture left in the mash tun at this point, and it's about 160F.

Will I just settle for poor conversion from this late mash addition? Will it convert just fine, but I won't have very good lauter efficiency, since I'm essentially no-sparging the 1lb of belgian aromatic? I don't think adding more sparge water is a good thing since I don't want to oversparge, but I could be convinced otherwise pretty easily.

9% is t much. You'll sti get your flavor and coloring from it. 1 pound added to my 1054 recipe I happen to be doin now takes it 1059 to give you an idea. But leaving it there for 20 minutes should get you so
e if not all conversion from it
Summary : RDWHAHB;)

Back