The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain Brew Tomorrow Morning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #21
JankoDawg86
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
Sounds like you did great for the size of the grain bill. On big beers, which is what I usually brew (but 5 gal at a time), I usually get about 70%. Up to 80 with a 5% brew. The bag must have been amazingly heavy. I just did a 23 lb grain bill in a Russian Imperial Stout, that's for 5 gallons. Got 68% efficiency and hit about 10% ABV. But I split it into two bags in my keggle and then drained each separately. That lightens the load Something to think about. Did the same thing a week later but with 10 gallons of IPA that hit 8.8%.

Enjoy. Sounds like you are on your way with BIAB.
Thanks Brewitt! Good idea on the two bag system. How to you support them independently? It seems like it would be a bit of a hassle stirring the mash but I've never brewed in a keggle so I might be way off. It would certainly be easier on my arms tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannedry
Congratulations on your first all grain brew session!!! I dig your choice in brews... Bell's 2Hearted is one of my favorite IPAs. I've never done the BIAB, but 70% sounds pretty good!
Brew on!
Thank you sir! Gotta love two-hearted ale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier
Great job on your first BIAB! If you're going to brew 10+ gallons on a regular basis you might want to consider making a MLT. Not that there is anything wrong with BIAB, but I think large batches would be easier in a mash tun. I still BIAB from time to time, but it's almost always for small batches (3-4 gallon). That's just a personal opinion, though. You should do what is best for you and what you prefer, by all means...
Thanks Stauffbier! I will definitely consider an MLT down the road. I want to get a few BIAB's under my belt before I look to make any changes. I would have probably done a few more stove top extracts but when we redid our kitchen and got a new stove, the btu's aren't enough to boil 3 gallons! Had we not have gotten a floor model for a pretty good deal I would have taken it back and gotten something better for brewing. Who need a stove for anything but brewing right? Too be SWMBO doesn't agree with that! Anyway, I'm glad that I jumped into all grain and look forward to the next brew day.

One more question for you gents...I'm using Notty yeast in one of my two fermenters and WLP 051 in the other. The Notty is took off like a rocket and is fermenting nicely, the 051 is stagnate. Is this typical w/ this yeast? So far I've only used WLP 001 and Notty prior to this brew session. Any reason to be alarmed or give it another day or so?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #22
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2659

Wait another day and see if it picks up. If you don't see any activity, then check the gravity to see if it's fermenting...

Old 06-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #23
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

You must look like this when you BIAB:

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels
People Like This 
Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #24
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My double BIAB is a bit more of a hassle I clip the bags onto the edge of the keggle with three binder clips, two in the middle and one at the side. That way both bags are open at the top but it is true that they each have to be stirred individually. Still, I only stir a couple times during a mash to keep the temperature equilibrated so it is not a lot of work. Makes the mash out a lot easier.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
JankoDawg86

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallHed View Post
You must look like this when you BIAB:

That is hilarious MetallHed! I hope you don't mind that I'm using it as my profile picture.

p.s. my physique isn't half of Arnold's, I'm just stubborn (or stupid) enough to muscle my way through things!

MetallHed:
You must look like this when you BIAB (see profile picture)

Old 06-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #26
JankoDawg86

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
My double BIAB is a bit more of a hassle I clip the bags onto the edge of the keggle with three binder clips, two in the middle and one at the side. That way both bags are open at the top but it is true that they each have to be stirred individually. Still, I only stir a couple times during a mash to keep the temperature equilibrated so it is not a lot of work. Makes the mash out a lot easier.
Sounds like a pretty good system to me. I guess as long as you end up with beer that all that matters right?!

MetallHed:

Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #27
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JankoDawg86 View Post
That is hilarious MetallHed! I hope you don't mind that I'm using it as my profile picture.

p.s. my physique isn't half of Arnold's, I'm just stubborn (or stupid) enough to muscle my way through things!
Lol. No I don't mind. I made that a while back when someone else was as ambitious as you were in trying a big BIAB.

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #28
JankoDawg86

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallHed

Lol. No I don't mind. I made that a while back when someone else was as ambitious as you were in trying a big BIAB.
They probably learned their lesson tho...I'm going to keep muscling thru mine for awhile yet! Or until my arms can't handle the weight of a really hoppy ipa

MetallHed:

Quick Reply