fermentation going crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerzeek

Reaction score
I have a wheat in my fermentator that is going crazy. It is bubble out of the airlock. Do you think that I will have contamination as a result? it has not yet blown the air lock out of the carboy.

Spring Snow Wheat is the beers name because I brewed it on the first day of spring and it snowed 8 inches in Kansas City that same day.

Thanks for the help.

I doubt any contamination can get in with all the co2 blowing off but it sounds like your temp may be up there, how much head room do you have too?

Also, think about a blowoff or just using some tinfoil to cover the hole if it needs more flow.

that is normal for wheat beers. that's why they tell you to allow for 30% larger fermenter.
Get rid of the bubbler before it clogs then sends old faithful to the ceiling with a gooey mess to clean up.

Just leave the top open with a loosely fitted piece of tin foil on it like a dome until the fermentation subsides some like the other poster advised.
Clean and sanitize the stopper and bubbler, then use some vodka to clean the top neck, inner edge, and opening of the carboy before you put the stopper and bubbler back on.

Back