Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > expensive ag ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #41
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper5000 View Post
$47 for 12 pounds of grain and a few ounces of hops is way too much and I have no idea why that would have been so much (unless you ordered online and had to pay a bunch in shipping). Boiling for over 60min doesn't really impact hop utilization at all.

There are always kinks to work out in your venturing into new territory so I wouldn't worry too much about that part...

(has this person even responded to any of the comments?)
yes . Just now . I just now got the email stating there was a response .

Appreciate the help also.

bought from local brew store , no shipping . Their kits seem to be quite reasonable priced . I usually brew some muntons nut brown and add in some specialty grains , chocolate and black maybe some honey and sometimes a hop and a different yeast and it tastes quite good . Always different as I just add some of this and that and no measurement usually . some extra DME to kick up the ABV

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #42
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default brewmasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
Plus you can have ounces or even half ounces of grains in your grain bill, you don't need to buy entire pounds of specialty malts
cool . I will check that one out for sure.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #43
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I harvest my own yeast and make 11 gallon batches. I am making 11 gallons of my session ales (Cream ale and Pale ale ~ 5% abv) for about $25 for 11 gallons. Yes, that is only about $12.50 for 5.5 gallons! You are doing it wrong! I order my pale malt in bulk and it ends up being about $1.20/lb shipped. I order my hops every 2 years in bulk and freeze them and they average only 80 cents per ounce.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 11-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #44
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Some of the grain prices that I am seeing reported in this post are REALLY low. Where are all of you that are claiming close to $1/lb for grain getting your grain from? My LHBS rides at around $1.80/lb, and the discount for bulk isn't that great. I just ordered the ingredients for my first all-grain brew coming up, and it was a bit more expensive than I was hoping. So, where are some good online sources for cheaper grain?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #45
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex23 View Post
I presume you don't have an LHBS available? I realize that rounding up is a fact with ordering ala-carte online, but my LHBS will take a recipe and mix/grind all the right amounts. Still $47 sounds really high. Shop around for better grain prices.
Yep, my "local" store ( 2 hours away ) weighs, crushes and puts it all into one package for me.

Soon I'll have my barley crusher and with a little luck I'll save even more by buying grain in bulk.

Either way it's way cheaper to do all grain unless maybe if you are ordering online and the extra weight is getting you in shipping.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #46
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Bronc View Post
Some of the grain prices that I am seeing reported in this post are REALLY low. Where are all of you that are claiming close to $1/lb for grain getting your grain from? My LHBS rides at around $1.80/lb, and the discount for bulk isn't that great. I just ordered the ingredients for my first all-grain brew coming up, and it was a bit more expensive than I was hoping. So, where are some good online sources for cheaper grain?
I order most of my grain from farmhousebrewingsupply. they have 10 lb base grain specials that run about $1/lb + shipping. if you order about 45 lbs worth of grain shipping is only $18 or so. I can usually order enough grain to make about 33 gallons of session ales or 22 gallons of IPA/stout for about $60 shipped. Hops are cheap unless you are making an IPA. Learn to wash and reuse yeast and you can save another $3-$7 per batch!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #47
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Bronc View Post
Three words for you "group grain buy"... I've gone in on two from HBT members and another from the HBC I'm a member of. IME, most [decent] HBC's will have at least two group grain buys a year. That's when you get sacks of grain to carry you through to the next one. I'm looking at joining a new HBC (one I'm a member of is just too far away now) at the start of the year. I'll be ordering at least two, or three, sacks of base malt at that time and maybe split another sack (or two) of other malts I use often enough to make it worth it. That's where you can get to under $1/pound pricing.

For reference, last sacks I got of Bairds MO were maybe $40 each, with everything included. That's 55# sack sizes.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #48
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ya also you for sure did not need to pitch 2 packs of nottingham in there. Maybe if your making a beer that's over like 7% but not for something like this. Those grain proces are pretty resonable.

There are also multiple online retailers where you can buy hops in bulk. You usually have to buy about a pound but it breaks down with shipping to be less than a dollar an ounce.

If you like a couple types it's a very worthwhile buy. I have used hopsdirect.com with success.

I got you at about $40 bucks for this batch which isn't too unresonable. I think usually kits are about 30 for liquid extract, right?

If you buy in bulk and be aware of how much yeast you need to pitch (good calc online to see pitching rates is yeastcalc.com or mrmalty.com) then you could shave some dollars off your cost.

If you get good efficiency on your all grain that will equal less grains you have to buy as well.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #49
neko
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
WOW! Holy effing crap . I been taken for a wild ride . I bought the grain at my local brew store . 7.50 for 5 pounds of 2 row and 2.50 a pound for the others , so there is 25 bucks for thew grain and I still have some left over but ... forgot what the hops and yeast cost but I guess about 16 bucks since all I also bought was a 2.30 bottle of wyeast yeast energizer. guess I better check prices online next time .
$25
9 pds pale malt
1 pound caramel malt
1 pound oats
.50 victory malt
.25 chocolate malt

$2.30
Yeast Energizer

Almost $20
1 oz fuggles
1 oz goldings kent
2 packs nottingham

The grains are expensive, but the real problem is spending $20 for 2oz of hops and two packets of nottingham.

Ring ding dong. Ring a ding-ding-ding dong

"We have invented the world's largest laser system" -Ahnold

Old 11-08-2012, 04:39 AM   #50
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
WOW! Holy effing crap . I been taken for a wild ride . I bought the grain at my local brew store . 7.50 for 5 pounds of 2 row and 2.50 a pound for the others , so there is 25 bucks for thew grain and I still have some left over but ... forgot what the hops and yeast cost but I guess about 16 bucks since all I also bought was a 2.30 bottle of wyeast yeast energizer. guess I better check prices online next time .
~$16 for two ounces of hops and two packets of yeast?? I hope they used some lube on you there. Even at the old LHBS I was using while in MA (before I started shopping smarter) was only $3/ounce of hops and the dry yeast was in the $2-$3 per pack range.

If I was paying those prices, I wouldn't be able to brew nearly as often as I like to. I would advise finding a group grain buy in your area as well as purchase hops in bulk, or semi-bulk moving forward. I've been using only a handful of hops for all my brews. Just make sure you select a hop that's flexible enough to work well in such a case. Or get a few varieties that will pretty much cover everything. If you vacuum pack them, after opening the bag, they'll last a good amount of time in the freezer.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply