The Dogs ate my Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangevango

Reaction score
So I was going to do my first all-grain batch this weekend, but i ran into a little snag. On friday I bought the grain and had it milled at the LHBS. they milled all my grains together, and I put the mixture into three ziplock bags. Well somehow my room-mates pit bull got into the brew-closet and got one of the bags. It is currently strewn across the back yard. So now I have all of this malt, but I have no way of knowing how much of which malt is in the bag. So How do I use it?

How well was it mixed? Can you assume you just lost a third of everything? What was the recipe?

It was edworts haus pale ale. I can not assume that it was one third, I also do not have an acurate scale to split up the hops.

I would assume a third and it will be ok. As far as hops go, just eye ball it. Split it in half add half at 60, split again, add that, repeat.

There is a "robust" coffee that comes to mind. Can't remember the name of it. Popular in Asia. Saw it on a Zimmern episode.

To paraphrase ".....they collect the fermented beans after they have traveled through the animals system and have been passed by the animal....."

Erm, on second thought. Maybe that is a bad idea but then, you'd think that thought would have occured with the coffee too. :confused:

Dang. I had an idea, but if the dog didn't actually EAT the grain, then you're out of luck. I just figured you would wait a day or so... ;)

We almost had this problem when we brewed our Nut Brown. We put the malt in the bag down for like 2 seconds next thing we know our friends dog ran over and gave the bag a big lick and if we did not stop the dog im sure he would have had a nice meal out of it. Hope we dog have any taste of the dog in the Nut Brown but oh well.

Ahoy hoy,
Baldie stole my thunder. I was going to suggest following the dog around with a baggie for a couple of days. :p
I know, I know, not a real help. But i just couldnt resist.
I bid you good luck and a great day.

just guess, get some more grain and make a new beer. it won't be the brew you were going for but it should still be good.

and buy a scale...it's worth the $30.00.

you could always shoot for 3.75 gallons in the fermenter.

Oooh! And if you choose to secondary your beer, dry hop with the extra 2/3rd ounce of hops!

My dog loves malt, he follows behind me the whole time I brew licking up malt that falls on the floor. I definitely make sure I protect my grain from the dog as I know he would eat all of it if he could.

If it's really your first all-grain batch, then I'd get all new grain that I knew was properly proportioned. Without knowing the makeup of what's left, you won't have much of an idea how you did with your system. Not a big deal if it was your 100th AG batch. But for your first I'd think you'd want the most controlled base possible so as to judge the results.

But that's just me.

Pedro: Man, what is in this ****, man?

Stoner: Mostly Maui Waui man, but it's got some Labrador in it.

Pedro: What's Labrador?

Stoner: It's dog ****.

Pedro: What?

Stoner: Yeah, my dog ate my stash, man.

Pedro: Yeah?

Stoner: I had it on the table and the little mother****er ate it, man. Then I had to follow him around with a little baggie for three days, man, before I got it back. Really blew the dog's mind, ya know?

Pedro: You mean we're smokin' dog ****, man?

Stoner: Gets ya high, don't it?

Stoner: I think it's even better than before, you know?

Pedro: Uhhh, I wonder what Great Dane tastes like, man.

keep the hops away from your doggies or it will kill them if they eat it...or so i hear. Ill light a candel for your grain

Well since the Haus Ale only has three malts you should be able to tell the difference. The pale malt should be easy to identify since it is the largest and will be light in color with not a whole lot of flavor.

The crystal malt will have a sort of sweet almost honey like taste to it.

I can't recall what vienna malt tastes like.

It tastes like Vienna Malt :D

Vienna will taste maltier than the pale malt, so if it doesn't taste like caramel then that's the vienna.

Ahhh.. I know you mentioned that you don't have a scale but, buy a scale! You need one to measure the hops like you said.

This one is a no brainer.

Oh, and beat the paste out of that stupid dog.

Back