New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Does spent grain make good chicken feed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #31
November
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My chickens love it. If I have a bunch that I don't want to give them all at once I freeze it into couple pound blocks in the freezer. When it comes time to use, I throw the frozen "grain-sicle" into the coop and they go to town. The goats and horse seem to enjoy it too. As an aside, I have noticed that if I make a beer with 100% Pilsner the chickens won't touch it. I guess they are just picky.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #32
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I need to revive this thread because I have a friend who is keeping chickens now.

Am I correct in assuming wheat and rice hulls in the grains aren't going to be a problem?

On deck: Barleywine, Dampfbier, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Rye-weizen, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #33
KegWrangler
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Unless they have Celiac they should be fine. They eat rocks to help "chew" there food anyway so a few rice hulls shouldn't upset the digestive track.

Good tip above regarding freezing extras. You don't want to give them more than they can eat in a day or it will spoil and you get sick chickens.

Quick Reply