Does d-rest release CO2 from suspension?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidan

Reaction score
I checked the SG of my fermenting pilsner yesterday and it was already down to 1.010 (from OG 1.050). I was a bit late for a d-rest but decided to go ahead and do a one anyway so I raised temp from 13C to 18C. Since raising the temp it's been releasing a lot of gas in the last 12 hours. Is this because increasing the temperture causes the CO2 to be released from suspension? How does this affect the priming sugar calculation? What temperature is used for priming sugar calculation in the case of a lager that's had a d-rest?

Colder liquids hold more gas in suspension, so you might just be seeing your beer 'let go' of some co2. Also, you might have triggered an increase in fermentation by raising the temp. Only way to know is to take another gravity reading at end of d-rest. My guess is a combo of the 2. You could end up with a pretty dry beer.
I always calculate my priming sugar based on the max temp.
Good luck!

Likely it's a combination of factors - the beer itself expands as it warms, the co2 blanket expands as it warms, and some CO2 is released due to the increased temperature leading to a lower gas solubility. Most importantly, you may be re-activating some yeast which, as far as my understanding goes, is the point of the D-rest. This small amount of yeast activity is the process by which diacetyl is converted.

Go with the warmest temperature the beer achieved during fermentation as the defining variable in the determination of dissolved CO2 in solution is temperature.

Back