Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction Mash Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #121
crawford
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Sorry Keiser, had just one stupid question. How long do you rest the first decotion solution in the pot insulated by the blanket? 15 or 50 minutes? THanks man!.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #122
sp1365
Recipes 

I am thinking about doing a decoction mash in a couple of weeks for my RoggenBock, but had a couple of questions.

1. Is a decoction possible with a large percentage of adjuncts? My recipe uses 48.8% rye.

2. Due to mash tun space I can only do a thickness of 1.5 qt/lb. Will that be a problem?

3. I was reading through your website about pH in brewing. The pH of my tap water is high (8.4) and I use 5.2 Stabilizer in my mash. On you page you suggest a mash pH of over 5.4 when doing a decoction mash. Should I go low or high on the mash pH.

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #123
R2-D2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Very informational and answered a ton of questions about decoction mashing that i had. Going to try a decoction mash tomorrow with a Belgian wit recipe.

Bottled: Abbey's Weiss, Betty's American Wheat, Das Boot Kolsch, Coffee Stout w/Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Stout, Imperial Amber Ale, West Coast IPA, Nelson Sauvin Session Amber Ale, Belgian Golden IPA, Ya Mama's Best Milk Stout

Old 01-25-2010, 02:42 AM   #124
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1365 View Post
1. Is a decoction possible with a large percentage of adjuncts? My recipe uses 48.8% rye.
Yes it will work with these grists as well. BTW, malted rye is not considered an adjunct. Only unmalted grains are adjuncts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1365 View Post
2. Due to mash tun space I can only do a thickness of 1.5 qt/lb. Will that be a problem?
It will still work. I have to brew my Doppelbock at that thickness. And while it is a b**ch to handle it does work.

Quote:
3. I was reading through your website about pH in brewing. The pH of my tap water is high (8.4) and I use 5.2 Stabilizer in my mash. On you page you suggest a mash pH of over 5.4 when doing a decoction mash. Should I go low or high on the mash pH.
The pH of the water matters little in brewing. What matters is its alkalinity. This measures the water's resistance to pH changes. I don't exactly know why Kunze suggests not to go lower than 5.4 when using a decoction mash but what I know is that decoction mashing lowers the pH and if you start too low you may end up even lower. Based on my experience 5.2 doesn't buffer the mash at 5.2 at all so I don't exactly know where your mash pH is. But when I use a decoction I tend to target a mash pH of 5.5 - 5.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford View Post
Sorry Keiser, had just one stupid question. How long do you rest the first decotion solution in the pot insulated by the blanket? 15 or 50 minutes? THanks man!.
10 - 20 min should be fine. You are not looking for a complete conversion. You want it to convert mostly so that less starches gum up during the decoction. This makes the decoction easier handle.

Kai

Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 AM   #125
sp1365
Recipes 

Kai thanks for the response:

I realized that the fact about the malted rye after I posted. I guess I was just worried about the lack of husk with the rye while doing the decoction. I already plan on using rice hulls as well.

As for the pH, my tap water has a pH of 8.49 which is why I use the buffer. My bicarbonate alkalinity (HCO3) is 103.1. Any suggestions? I am just getting into the water chemistry.

I am brewing this on Saturday. Thank you for the help so far.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:35 AM   #126
BrainPain
Recipes 

Kaiser,

Sehr gut! Ich bin neu mit brewing aber ich finda dein film sehr interesant. Entschuldigung fur meine hesliche Deutch.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #127
crawford
Recipes 

trying my first decoction today. I think everythings going smooth, thanks for your help kaiser. the only i missed was when i mixed the first decoction with the original mash, i came up really short on the target of 158, like 130 . just takes a lot to change the temp of a propotionally large amount of water. I think i'm still good, though. boiling the first runnings now.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #128
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think that I just might try this. I haven't done all grain brewing before, but this makes it seem pretty easy. I've read a lot about it in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and I really want to make the move to all grain.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #129
R2-D2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Six weeks after doing my first decoction mash I would say that I'm pretty happy with my Belgian Wit. I will say that the process took considerably longer than I anticipated. But that was due to my unfamiliarity with it. By the end of the boil I forgot to add my orange zest and coriander! It's still pretty nice though.

Bottled: Abbey's Weiss, Betty's American Wheat, Das Boot Kolsch, Coffee Stout w/Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Stout, Imperial Amber Ale, West Coast IPA, Nelson Sauvin Session Amber Ale, Belgian Golden IPA, Ya Mama's Best Milk Stout

Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #130
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Kai,

I'm going to be doing my first decoction mash soon, and have learned a ton from your site and videos. Huge thanks for all the great info!

I'm planning to do a Pilsner Urquell clone, and this this page claims that PU mashes at 1.85 L/kg. I've read that thinner mashes are ideal, so is this even feasible? Also, do you think thickness makes a big difference in the resulting beer?

Quick Reply