Danstar Munich VS Fermentis WB-06 (Happy Wife Wheat)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've focused alot of my brewing energies on weizens and tried many yeast over the last 5 yrs - initially using 3068, but my best brews so far come from decoction mashes with a ferulic acid rest at 105 - 107 degF and using WY3638 fermented in the mid 60's. My last dunkel weizen was made with dark wheat and munich dark malts from Best Malz... was probably my best ever. So my wish would be for a dry 3638 yeast if I had a choice. As someone above mentioned, I too highly recommend purchasing Eric Warner's "German Wheat Beers" http://www.brewerspublications.com/books/german-wheat-beer/ book and using a ferulic acid rest for good clove/phenol development - much flavor to be gained there! For hefe's, Hefeweizen IV WLP380 has garnered my attention ;) Hope this will help someone step outside the box and try something new.

... just my $0.02

For me I was trying to replicate a Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen using WB-06, and just couldn't. I tried cool fermenting, warm fermenting, and a combination of both. It just comes out too crisp and tart. The beer is good, quite drinkable, but it's not a Weihenstephaner clone in any way...as I can create with Wyeast 3068 almost spot on (by fermenting at 17C/62F). I want to try Munich Classic at some stage, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

It's not the same yeast I don't think. You want to use WY3068 or WLP300 I believe. It sounds like this Munich Classic might be a dried form of that Weihenstephaner yeast, but WB-06 isn't the same as far as I know.

Hi, my cent..:

I brewed a lot of weizen and trying a lot of yeasts, malts, temperatures, etc...
What I discovered so far is:

1) Wyeast Labs #3333 -> my best recipe at all... Great result .. but once I make it several years ago I just have this "great" remember...
OG 1049 / FG 1010. 50% wheat malt and 50% pilsner malt. for 5gal.
temp brew: 50oC / 62oC / 68oC.
temp. ferm:17oC (62,5F) for 17days.

2) White Labs #WLP300 -> good yeast but not amazing. Better then the next yeasts:

3) Mangrove Jack's #M20 -> I really tried to use this yeast in many ways but at end I decided to not use anymore this one.. never gave me a good beer. It is not for WeizenBier.

4) WB-06 -> Produced a small banana smell. The Flavor is nothing special.. just nothing.
Fermentated at 20oC (68F) (11days) Same ramp temp mash as 1# recipe.

5) Munich Lallemand - Fermentation at 18oC (64F). ->my first batch produced banana smell.. but I never be able to reproduce this smell again... Now I smell suor. What I can say is I SUPPOSE that this was caused by the possible differences:

- aeration, once I didn´t make this on the others recipes. Many people say that is not necessary aerate the green beer once is a dryed yeast.. but I have a serious doubt about this.
- Decoction , ".
- 1 pack per 10L.

Now I saw the Classic Munich.. I expect that this yeast solve my problem. let´s see.

Add. note: most of the final beer produce a little alcool taste. I Suppose that this is caused by the missed aeration or the mash temp ramps.

tks!
Frank

Latest posts

Back