Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cool That Wort!! Cool That Wort!! What Works For You?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
shagington
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cool That Wort!! Cool That Wort!! What Works For You?

I just upgraded to a 10 batch gallon brewing system and I wanted to grab some opinions and suggestions and ideas on how to cool the wort. I originally used the ice paddles I bought from a restaurant store and did an ice bath along with it. However, 10 gallons is a lot to cool with ice and a paddle. So...How do you cool your wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You need an extra large immersion chiller. It's the lowest hassle (effective) way to chill your beers.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

^one opinion. I disagree.

I made a counter flow, which was fun to make and works brilliantly. Gravity and siphoning is a PITA but I got 5 gallons cooled in 16 minutes. I bought a pump as part of my preparation for 10 gallon batches, and it should arrive today. We'll see what it does to my cooling time.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
blacklab

Recipes 

so you're saying that buying a pump, a counter flow, setting it all up, priming the pump, filtering your wort before cooling, etc., is easier than throwing in the IC and turning on the hose?

I can see the CFC being more effective(quicker) but no way is it easier.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

An Immersion Chiller (IC) - basically a coil of soft copper tube which you run cold water through.

However, if you have rapi-kool or equivalent "paddles", you can still add those to the mix - it is the sort of thing they are designed to do. Just be sure to sanitize the outside of the "paddle" - and for best effect, wait until you've pulled the temp down a ways with the IC, which is most effective when the wort is hottest. The ice paddle would be most helpful for the last 20 degrees F or so (depends on size - assuming the 1-gallon size and a 10-gallon batch)

Or look into a CFC - I don't like them much because I prefer systems where I can see any crud on the wort contact surface, but many folks love them.

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've never had an IC, but I brewed my first 3 batches with my new CFC from Austin Home Brew.....They are the last 3 batches I'll use it for.

It's hard to clean! I'm not sure I'll ever be confident in it's sanitation, and It puts ALL the junk from the boil into your fermentor. I'm trading for an IC.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
dismantle360
Recipes 

So using a Blichmann CFC brick is not that easy?

Please explain the process using one of these if you have one.

Regards,

-Dis

Old 10-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2779 Times on 2727 Posts
Likes Given: 121

This is my biggest PITA about brewing. I only do 5 gallons batches, well until this next brew than I plan on 10G, but any way. I only have a 25ft IC right now. It took FORVER to cool. My last batch i bought a small pond pump and pumped cold water through down to 100, then went through 1 1/2 big bags of ice. It took 40 minutes still to chill from boiling to 70. I definitately need at least a bigger IC if I plan on 10 G Batches.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 10-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
blacklab

Recipes 

To the OP:

Here's an immersion chiller, it's just a big heat exchanger. Not a great pic but it's all I have in my gallery right now. You hook a hose up to it and the cool water runs thru the copper thru the coils, and up and out of the other end(outside of boil pot). This pulls the heat out of the wort. Mine takes about 15-20 mins to go from boiling to 70 degrees. When purchasing, remember, you cannot buy too big. Mine is 50 ft. One wildcard is the temp of your hose water. In Oregon ours is pretty cool, 50-ish. If you're in a spot where tap water is 80, you obviously will not be able to cool as efficiently or to as low of a temp as you would like.

The snotty looking stuff is cold break - the quicker you cool the wort, the better your cold break and the clearer your final product.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

I only brew 5 gallon batches, fits a keg nice and allows for more variety in the store room. Anyhow, I hook my 25' IC up to one of my water timers for my lawn and set it for 30 minutes. I whirlpool it a few times during that time frame to avoid cold and hot spots in the kettle. Works for me.

Quick Reply