Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cloudy beer problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Djuhnk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cloudy beer problem

I just started brewing on a 10 gallon system, each time (3 batches) I have ended up with very cloudy beers. I mash in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid with false bottom and I have been mashing for a long time to make sure I get full conversion. I have used 2 varieties of American ale and a northwest ale yeast. I have also let the beers sit in the fridge for at least 3 weeks before jumping to conclusions. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Djuhnk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I also want to add that along with the cloudiness there is also off flavors I can't put my finger on. And I also only use a primary and usually ferment in that for a week and a half and then rack to a keg, carbonate it and let it sit out for a couple days before chilling it.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2012 Times on 1763 Posts
Likes Given: 1491

At 1.5 weeks,I don't think the beer has had time to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before proceeding. Mine get 3 weks on average. The interesting part is that extract brews clear a bit faster than my partial mash ones do. I've used US-05,a medium flocculation yeast,& Cooper's ale yeast,a high flocculation yeast. Both rehydrated,& both times,the beer was slightly misty on bottling day. I figured the grains have something to do with this. But they settle out clear a few days in the bottle.
And since you have some off flavors,I'd say you're kegging too son. More time seems to be in order.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Does the cloudiness go away when the beer warms up? Could be chill haze.

But I agree that it's probably just too young. Are you using any finning agents?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Djuhnk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

i havent used any finning agents. ive been doing some research on hot break and boil times. the last three beers i have dont only have aroma hops so i only boil them 10-15 minutes but im reading i need to boil them for longer to coagulate all the proteins and to volatize DMS. this could be my problem....

ill check if cloudiness goes away when warmed. doesnt chilling a beer usually cause all the proteins and yeast to settle out though? how does chill haze work?

in the past, young flavors have gone away after a week or two in the fridge. ive been brewing for 3 years and just switched systems now im getting this.

thanks for the help guys

Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Does the beer taste bandaidish? You might not be boiling long enough to drive off all of the DMS. getting it cooled faster will cause a cold break that will help clear it as well. You could also try gelatin to clear it.

And chill haze works when the tannins and proteins bond and participate out, they don't settle out, just larger molecules.

On a side note, with no bittering hops, how long does your beer keep? hops are a preservative as well as a flavor addition.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
Djuhnk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

yeah the last one tasted quite bandaidish. or cardboardy. I was confused cuz i almost thought it tasted like oxidation.

so what causes chill haze/ how can you avoid it?

my beer keeps great, ive had 2 year old bottles of beer that have kept without much hopping. I do always add at least one ounce of hops though, i just dont do many full boil hopping. also, ive always heard yeast played a big part as a preservative.

im going to boil for the full 60 next time and we'll see what happens.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuhnk View Post
yeah the last one tasted quite bandaidish. im going to boil for the full 60 next time and we'll see what happens.
+1 to this. I suspect that this will greatly improve your clarity and DMS off flavor issues.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuhnk View Post
I also want to add that along with the cloudiness there is also off flavors I can't put my finger on. And I also only use a primary and usually ferment in that for a week and a half and then rack to a keg, carbonate it and let it sit out for a couple days before chilling it.
A week and a half and then rack to a keg. I can't say specifically which process this interrupts causing which specific defect, but I can say this goes against almost every successful brewers' methods. You are halting the yeast's cycle, throwing it in a keg and carbing it up for a quick pour, and suffering the consequences. Patience is key. I never keg a beer in less than 3 weeks, and also never set any particular schedule for when I will keg it. I wait for terminal gravity, then at least another week (depending on style) on the yeast
for things to settle out and be re-absorbed by the yeast. It's been working great as friends, family and even a home brew competition judge have told my beers are great!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #10
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

With chill haze, i believe the tannins are negatively charged, and the proteins are positively charged (I could have those mixed up) but either way, finning agents have a charge as well, so if you use a putatively charged one, it should take some of the negatively charged tannins with it when it settles out. Or vis versa.

Quick Reply