Is this channeling bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
I did a batch sparge and found this channel on the side of my grain bed after the second runnings, is this bad with batch sparring?
I didn't do anything to cause this, I was very careful when vorlaufing, and otherwise did not disturb the grain bed.
The bed was beautiful after the first runnings, nice and level.

image-2718204860.jpg

Since you stir the mash each time you batch sparge it's not that big of a problem. You're moving grain around to make contact with the water and dissolve any sugars.

If you were fly sparging it would be a bigger deals since the water would never come into contact with a portion of your grain.

Right. With batch sparging, you WANT to disturb that grainbed and stir the heck out of it, then vorlauf and drain. Channelling doesn't matter a bit, and you can drain fast.

Awesome, that's what I was thinking.
Thanks!!!
I was kinda worried there for a minute lol.

The same thing happens with my my grain bed. I've noticed if I don't drain as fast it doesn't happen. Either way it doesn't matter.

20131006_122135.jpg

Latest posts

Back