Blichmann Boilermaker as a mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochsner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone out there use a Blichmann Boilermaker and the false bottom as a direct fired mash tun? I don't want to start using pumps or recirculating but I would like to be able to heat the mash from time to time and I thought it might be pretty easy to do that way.

If you're going to be directly firing the mash tun, there needs to be some sort of action with the mash, be it through recirculation with a pump, or stirring the crap out of it with a paddle, like when taking of a decoction from the mash.

Direct flame hot enough to raise mash temp in prolonged contact with the same wort = scorch.

I use one, but I recirculate with a pump. I wouldn't advise doing it without recirculating or without firing. You'll scorch it without recirculating and you'll lose too much heat without direct firing.

I use one and have a reflectix insulated wrap for it and use a blanket as well during mash and lose a degree maybe 2 in an hour to hour and 15 minute mash but you've got to be quick about doughing in and add 2-3 degrees to what you calculate for strike water.

I love my Blichmann mash tun; however, I do constant recirculation. You'll need to do that with direct fire.

Another method is decoction (spelling?). Pull off ~10% of your wort and boil it in another pot. Dump it back into your mash tun and stir like hell. That should add a few degrees back to your total mash temp. I used to do this a couple of times during the mash before I got a pump. I'd pull off more volume for step mashes. This requires you to have a thinner water to grist ratio (2.0qt/lb or greater).

Good luck!

I use a boilermaker, but you definitely want to recirculate (you can do it with a measuring cup if you really want to heat without a pump, I have, it sucked.) that wort needs to be moving to prevent scorching.

Are you talking about firing to do step mashes, or to "maintain" a constant mash temperature? If you are only concerned about holding temp. for an infusion mash, you may not need to worry about firing it at all.

I do not use a blichman kettle, but I have a 10 gallon SS pot/False bottom from MoreBeer that is my mash tun..... I Bring my strike water up to 162 (ish), dump my grain in, stir, and it settles in at my mash temp (say 152). It holds that temperature with the lid on within a degree or two for 60-90 minute mashes. No recirculating. No refiring of the burners.
*I brew inside, with no wind and room temperature, so that obviously helps.

I have also done step mashes and brought temps up when I miss by a few degrees - gotta be careful and stir while you do it. Another solution I usually employ is that I will heat a gallon or two of my sparge water to near boiling while bringing strike water up to temp. Can always add a quart or two of boiling water to mash to bring temp up if needed. Need to think ahead and have it ready though. same with overshooting - throw some cold water in if needed.

I use a 15G Blich MT with a FB, don't use a pump, just stir constantly. Never scorched my mash, but you do have to heat it at moderate heat, not full boil temps.

Back