Barley crusher...glad I caught this early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my sacc rest right now on a 10gal batch of red ale. Last night while I was crushing the grain I got through about a pound before I noticed that the steel pin had worked itself out of the bearing opposite the crank and the rollers were pretty far apart on that side. Grain was getting through uncrushed. I should have run that grain through again but I didn't. I'd estimate .5 to 1 lb of grain got through uncrushed...we'll see how my efficiency fares. It shouldn't be too bad. It'll still be beer.

had the same happen to me once, ran it thru again, and got a stuck sparge out of the deal, I always watch it closely now.

The drive shaft isn't one piece, the end opposite where you would hook up your crank or drill can migrate.

its happed to me too. I put a little L bracket screwed to the base so that the pin cant come out that far, its ugly but it makes me feel better.

its happed to me too. I put a little L bracket screwed to the base so that the pin cant come out that far, its ugly but it makes me feel better.

Would it be possible to post a picture of the mod you described? I had the same thing happen to me and I would appreciate the help.:confused:

i crush several hundred pounds of grain per week on a Barley Crusher, and this has never happened to me.

I'd say it isn't terribly common.

Anything mechanical requires regular maintenance. I check the gap on my Barley Crusher w/ a feeler guage about once a month, making sure all adjustments, screws, knobs, etc. are properly tightened.

This happened to me also, I thought the roller broke but that piece is just pressed in, 4 days later I had brand new rollers no questions asked, their customer service is awesome.

Back