New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bagged grains for mashing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Catnip_X07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Bagged grains for mashing?

One of the longest and worst chore for me after brewing all-grain is cleaning the mash tun. All that loose grain to pick up or dump, then wash out, then wipe down to make sure no loose grain bits are sticking around.

Has anyone just dumped their grain bill into large nylon bags (5 gal paint strainer) and mashed this way in their tun? I'm not sure about the efficiency or if it would contribute to dough balls but I thought if I left enough space in the bags to agitate the grain, that I may get the same result with easy (easier?) cleanup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Maxkling
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

That is the whole concept of brewing in a bag. BIAB.

"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

"Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."

Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
GotPushrods
Bearded Lagerjack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

79 pages of people who kinda like the idea.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Catnip_X07
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I figured as much, but I thought BIAB was for smaller batches, up to 5 Gal, and involved dunking, spraying (i.e. sparging) and otherwise a grandiose way of steeping grain within the brew kettle. I just thought it was a conceptual thing that could be brought over to all grain mashing in the tun first, prior to vorlaufing, then sparging, and collecting into the brew kettle. I just hadn't come across anything yet where someone applied it to the turn first. I'll give a whirl.

Quick Reply