Bad crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeal

Reaction score
I got this from Northern Brewer last week, and it looks like the grain is barely crushed at all. Is this acceptable or should I contact them and make a fuss?

v8ZgI.jpg

5O4Ng.jpg

I agree with Malfet. It looks like the starch is free of the husks and the husks are intact. Probably very little powder in there too. Should be a good mash.

Looks like the standard excellent crush I get from NB. You WANT the husks to be intact for improved lautering/sparging, with the starch separated completely, that's why we use devices specifically engineered to crush barley and don't do it in the blender or some other device which would be cheaper and faster.

You can't really see it in the picture, the starch is cracked but still within the husk. I'll give it a whirl this weekend and see what kind of efficiency I get.

mikeal said:
You can't really see it in the picture, the starch is cracked but still within the husk. I'll give it a whirl this weekend and see what kind of efficiency I get.

If the kernel is broken and the husk is opened up, that's fine. Even a small amount of stirring after dough-in will free up the starch.

Latest posts

Back