New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > American Pale Ale with WLP029

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are saying for a very clean cream ale (Faux Lager) you would use 029 over 090? (Yes for Kolsch 029 is awesome)

thanks Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeffnkr
You are saying for a very clean cream ale (Faux Lager) you would use 029 over 090? (Yes for Kolsch 029 is awesome)

thanks Kevin
Not necessarily, I just think these hybrid yeasts work vey well for Cream Ale. Strong ale yeasts (e.g., WLP001) can work well if fermented cool enough (60F)... and I've heard 090 stalls when fermented too cool.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #13
d_striker
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

WLP029 used to be my favorite strain for everything from blonde ales to amber ales. It's a great strain and I've made some of my best beers with it but it REALLY needs a good amount of time.

I've been on a fast grain to glass kick lately and have moved away from 029 for this very reason.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #14
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_striker View Post
WLP029 used to be my favorite strain for everything from blonde ales to amber ales. It's a great strain and I've made some of my best beers with it but it REALLY needs a good amount of time.

I've been on a fast grain to glass kick lately and have moved away from 029 for this very reason.
What are you using now?

Thanks Kevin

Old 09-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #15
d_striker
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeffnkr View Post
What are you using now?

Thanks Kevin
Nothing out of the ordinary. Been playing with WLP001 and WY1272 at different temperature cycles and pitching rates.

I've been playing around with deliberately over-pitching and fermenting at 60-62 with these. My goal is to have it in primary for a maximum of two weeks or less if I can get away with it. 1272 takes a bit longer than the 001. Rack to keg and start tasting from there. I'm liking my results so far.

My experience with 029, fermented anywhere from 60-64, has been that it needs at least three weeks (the longer the better) in primary and benefits from lagering if you have the capability. My experience also shows that the sulfer from 029 takes at least a couple months to fully dissipate. But if you do give it care and time, 029 will yield beers that definitely suit my palate. I really like that 029 will give you beers that have that clean, crisp, champagne-like flavor while still allowing hop flavor and aroma to come through and stay awhile. What I don't like is that it takes at least 2 months to get there.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_striker

Nothing out of the ordinary. Been playing with WLP001 and WY1272 at different temperature cycles and pitching rates.

I've been playing around with deliberately over-pitching and fermenting at 60-62 with these. My goal is to have it in primary for a maximum of two weeks or less if I can get away with it. 1272 takes a bit longer than the 001. Rack to keg and start tasting from there. I'm liking my results so far.

My experience with 029, fermented anywhere from 60-64, has been that it needs at least three weeks (the longer the better) in primary and benefits from lagering if you have the capability. My experience also shows that the sulfer from 029 takes at least a couple months to fully dissipate. But if you do give it care and time, 029 will yield beers that definitely suit my palate. I really like that 029 will give you beers that have that clean, crisp, champagne-like flavor while still allowing hop flavor and aroma to come through and stay awhile. What I don't like is that it takes at least 2 months to get there.
I agree with much of this- WLP029 needs more time, though I ferment it around 62F and the sulfur dissipates quickly. For really fast turnaround, you should try WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast. Ferments out in 4 or so days, keg and carb for 4-5 days, then start drinking! It's much more flocculant than WLP001 with similar characteristics.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
I agree with much of this- WLP029 needs more time, though I ferment it around 62F and the sulfur dissipates quickly. For really fast turnaround, you should try WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast. Ferments out in 4 or so days, keg and carb for 4-5 days, then start drinking! It's much more flocculant than WLP001 with similar characteristics.
Are you all using a secondary or Primary only?

I have been using wlp029 lately in my young brewing career
I get it from a local micro that uses wlp029 as their house yeast.
They seem to really like it cause it is clean/fast.
They ferment some beers at 63 but several at 65.

I have been using their (free ) yeast for a few Kolsh, Cream Ale and Munich Helles style beers with what I feel are good results, but always looking for better results...

I usually chill the wort to 61, pitch a big starter and ramp to about 62 the first day or 2 and work up to 70 over a total of 5 days.
After a week at in the primary I rack on to gellatin in a secondary, leave that set for a few days, cold crash for a 24-48 hours, rack to keg, force carb that at 30# for 30 hours and start drinking.
It gets a little better after a week in the keg.
I am not getting any off flavors though.

So... all that said.
With a cream ale/light style beer, after whatever ferment plan used, is the taste cleaner with wlp090 or wlp029 ? or is it basically oranges and apples?

To note have used s-05 and Notty and did not care for the results.
Pacman is awesome but I have not used it yet on lighter beers.
WLP029 is good... but is wlp090 better? (and better than free wlp029 yeast?)

thanks Kevin

Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeffnkr

Are you all using a secondary or Primary only?

I have been using wlp029 lately in my young brewing career
I get it from a local micro that uses wlp029 as their house yeast.
They seem to really like it cause it is clean/fast.
They ferment some beers at 63 but several at 65.

I have been using their (free ) yeast for a few Kolsh, Cream Ale and Munich Helles style beers with what I feel are good results, but always looking for better results...

I usually chill the wort to 61, pitch a big starter and ramp to about 62 the first day or 2 and work up to 70 over a total of 5 days.
After a week at in the primary I rack on to gellatin in a secondary, leave that set for a few days, cold crash for a 24-48 hours, rack to keg, force carb that at 30# for 30 hours and start drinking.
It gets a little better after a week in the keg.
I am not getting any off flavors though.

So... all that said.
With a cream ale/light style beer, after whatever ferment plan used, is the taste cleaner with wlp090 or wlp029 ? or is it basically oranges and apples?

To note have used s-05 and Notty and did not care for the results.
Pacman is awesome but I have not used it yet on lighter beers.
WLP029 is good... but is wlp090 better? (and better than free wlp029 yeast?)

thanks Kevin
Primary and keg

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Quick Reply