New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain - Aeration




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #21
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dbrewski's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Indeterminate
Posts: 1,012
Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

I have heard, and it makes sense, that in order to keep those aeration stones clean you need to turn on the O2 before you put it into the wort, that way the pressure keeps the wort from working into the pores. If it gets in there and gets caked up you might have it pop off as one poster states, or infections, or just plain clogged. I just got mine, I have not used it so I am just passing along what I heard.



__________________
dbrewski is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #22
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,932
Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski
I have heard, and it makes sense, that in order to keep those aeration stones clean you need to turn on the O2 before you put it into the wort, that way the pressure keeps the wort from working into the pores. If it gets in there and gets caked up you might have it pop off as one poster states, or infections, or just plain clogged. I just got mine, I have not used it so I am just passing along what I heard.

That's correct. I boil mine for a few minutes then it sits in starsan. I turn on the gas and once I see bubbles I put it in the worth, aerate, then back in a bit of water and then starsan for a few seconds before I kill the gas. Sounds like a lot of wasted o2 but I'm on my 10th batch OJ same tank.


__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #23
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,932
Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

Based on results, it's equally effective. If it wasn't I would have stopped using it yeats ago.
Every scientific research report ive read has said pure O2 is the only way to get over 8ppm. Optimal o2 level is 10-12ppm. You can shake and get 8ppm so if you aren't going with pure o2 it is just an effort to save shaking, which in itself is a good reason to get a wine degasser.
__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #24
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Raymond, Washington
Posts: 1,805
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer

Every scientific research report ive read has said pure O2 is the only way to get over 8ppm. Optimal o2 level is 10-12ppm. You can shake and get 8ppm so if you aren't going with pure o2 it is just an effort to save shaking, which in itself is a good reason to get a wine degasser.
Very true.

I would guess that the reason people say they get just as good of results is the oxygen is needed early on for reproduction.
Depending on the OG of the wort and the amount of yeast pitched, the importance of optimal reproduction can vary.
__________________

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

45_70sharps is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #25
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,932
Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
Very true.

I would guess that the reason people say they get just as good of results is the oxygen is needed early on for reproduction.
Depending on the OG of the wort and the amount of yeast pitched, the importance of optimal reproduction can vary.
Certainly. I went to pure O2 because the majority of what I brew is over 1.070.
__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #26
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Raymond, Washington
Posts: 1,805
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Certainly. I went to pure O2 because the majority of what I brew is over 1.070.
I like to brew big beers also.
I've got a virgin O2 system that I hope to break in this weekend.
__________________

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

45_70sharps is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #27
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,114
Liked 384 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Every scientific research report ive read has said pure O2 is the only way to get over 8ppm. Optimal o2 level is 10-12ppm. You can shake and get 8ppm so if you aren't going with pure o2 it is just an effort to save shaking, which in itself is a good reason to get a wine degasser.
Personally, I seldom measure my beer...I drink it. My results using the MixStir are every bit as good as friends who use O2. What else matters?
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,114
Liked 384 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Certainly. I went to pure O2 because the majority of what I brew is over 1.070.
Same here. Again, if the MixStir didn't give me excellent results, I would have switched to something else several hundred batches back.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #29
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dbrewski's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Indeterminate
Posts: 1,012
Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Personally, I seldom measure my beer...I drink it. My results using the MixStir are every bit as good as friends who use O2. What else matters?
when you say MixStir is it one of those paint mixers that attach to a drill? When do you oxygenate with it...in the kettle, or the bucket?
__________________
dbrewski is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #30
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,114
Liked 384 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
when you say MixStir is it one of those paint mixers that attach to a drill? When do you oxygenate with it...in the kettle, or the bucket?
Yeah, pretty much like that. I use it once the wort is in the fermenter, but you could also use it in the kettle once it's cooled.


__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First All Grain Batch, Found a Good Aeration Method eaglewwit All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 01-29-2010 11:54 PM
No foam from all-grain aeration. viking999 General Techniques 9 05-21-2009 11:36 AM
Grain Steeping & Wort Aeration Q's KDM Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 01-29-2009 11:30 PM
Aeration of first All grain jaymack All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 15 04-25-2008 03:08 AM
Aeration Chris_Dog DIY Projects 4 06-11-2007 10:24 PM