All the Essentials for a Saturday Morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Its a gray, autumnal Saturday morning at Estate du Pappers and I'm brewing. Got my mash tun, matches, brew sheet, and cup o' joe.

Up for today - the latest iteration of our house pale ale, about 1.052 OG, mash temp at 152, organic pale malt from Gambrinus for the base, and Bravo, Ivanho, Centennial and Cascade hops.

all_the_essentials.jpg

I scrolled over the post and the "It's a gray, autumnal Saturday morning..." popped up - and I immediately thought, "must be near Chicago." Hah. I haven't even set foot outside today - it just looks sad. Brewing makes me happy, though.

It's a bright, sunny, autumn day here in New England. A bit windy though (which means this time I'm going to start with more wort in the kettle - boil off is insane on windy days).

Heating up the strike water for a nut brown ale.

Pleased as punch that my insane housemate has gone to FL to spend Thanksgiving week with family. This makes for a more pleasant brew day.

Yup. It's going to be a good day!

I have three batches of beer, that if I want to share around christmas I have to get bottled this weekend. People think because of my bottling thread, that I love to bottle. I hate it. Absophuqinglootley hate it....That's why I came up with my system to make it less intolerable......But that doesn't mean I still don't keep putting it off.

Holy Mother of Muckups . . . . muilti-tasking and too much wind have made my hop addition timings not even as good as approximations. And the boil time, don't even ask.

Probably will turn out fabulous and I won't be able to replicate it. In any case, it will be beer, and it will be fine.

After I get this all cleaned up, its off to the grocery store and then to church, tonight is our night to cook for a local homeless shelter. Chicken and mashed potatoes - I'll be the one peeling 9 lbs of potatoes ;)

Holy Mother of Muckups . . . . muilti-tasking and too much wind have made my hop addition timings not even as good as approximations. And the boil time, don't even ask.

Probably will turn out fabulous and I won't be able to replicate it. In any case, it will be beer, and it will be fine.

You know you've reached RDWHAHB-hood when....:D

Last brew I did, and teach your friend day 2 weeks ago, I was too busy chatting with folks, answering questions and drinking that I got all my hop additions discomabulated and never took any grav readings either pre or post boil....It should be an interesting beer.

I have three batches of beer, that if I want to share around christmas I have to get bottled this weekend. People think because of my bottling thread, that I love to bottle. I hate it. Absophuqinglootley hate it....That's why I came up with my system to make it less intolerable......But that doesn't mean I still don't keep putting it off.

Love this. Now I feel better about constantly putting off bottling, despite constantly complaining about not having a consistently timed pipeline. So it goes! :tank:

(For this exact reason, I'm now on to my very sour, off-flavored amber batch... you get used to the flavor after a while. :drunk:)

Back