80% Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdoiv

Reaction score
So I just got done with my brew day. Hit 80% efficiency! I adjusted my mill and got a finner crush. I also changed up how I'm using the 5.2 buffer. Reading the directions, it seemed to me that if you want 10 gallons in your kettle, then you should use 2 tablespoons of 5.2. I had been breaking this up between the mash water and sparge water. Today I put both tablespoons into the mash water which was a little over 6 gallons. I tested the pH after dough in and it was at 5.5. My sparge water was at 7.0. I also added a tsp of gypsum for each 5 gallons being used, so I had 1 heaping tsp in the mlt and 2 in the hlt. I have very soft water so I wanted a little bite to it for the SNPA clone I was doing. I'm brewing the same batch in two weeks and am going to adjust my recipe to adapt to the higher efficiency. Then I'll know if this method will be consistent. Just thought I would share....

Wow, congratulations!

I'm going to have to look into my water pH once I get a few more AG's under my belt. My first AG had an efficiency of 72%, but them my second was 63% :( Not sure what happened, but the tie-breaker will occur next Saturday!

I need to get a grain mill too, because the crush I had on this last brew seemed a little coarse to me. I've been sending links to SWMBO for birthday ideas.

...too bad I've got 7 months til my b-day ;)

Back