Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 2nd All Grain Batch!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
jarnock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default 2nd All Grain Batch!

So I started my second all grain batch just now! Doughed in @ 151. I was shooting for 152. So I took my water at around 166-167 and by the time I got done with it all, the temps were reading 149, so I added 2 quarts @ around 200 to bring it up to 151. Not bad, I'll subtract 2 quarts from the sparge water.

Any thoughts on the recipe:
Grains:
12 lbs Marris Otter
2 lbs Crystal 60

Wyeast London ESB #1968

Hops:
-- 2 oz. Willamette (60 min)
-- 1 oz. UK Kent Goldings (15 min)
-- 1 oz. UK Kent Goldings (5 min)

Yeast:
Wyeast London ESB #1968

I took the recipe from an All Grain ESB and just bumped up the grains a bit to compensate for my efficiency (my last brew was pretty low at 72% and the beer seems very weak, but tastes absolutely amazing)

20130125_122511.jpg  

"Because without beer...things do not seem to go as well" Brother Epp

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
jarnock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, just a little update! Things went well! I opened up the cooler to find 150.1! I'll take that as a win!

Also, the beer is very dark, a lot darker then my other all grain batch. Should be good!!!

Only thing I'm not sure about, my mash out temp, ended up throwing it in at around 166-168, its supposed to be 170 but I totally missed that and it seems the grains are going to be in low 160s from my guess, I think it'll be ok. I'm definately not as worried as I was on my last brew...anyways, Cheers!

20130125_134249.jpg   20130125_134532.jpg  

Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 319

How long did it take you to sparge? It takes about 10 minutes at 170 or above to denature the enzymes so if you batch sparged and put the runnings in the pot and started heating you probably didn't really mashout at all. Not a big deal. If your sparge took you a couple hours, then mashout is needed as the enzymes would still be trying to convert sugars and your intended profile wouldn't be what you got.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
jarnock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
How long did it take you to sparge? It takes about 10 minutes at 170 or above to denature the enzymes so if you batch sparged and put the runnings in the pot and started heating you probably didn't really mashout at all. Not a big deal. If your sparge took you a couple hours, then mashout is needed as the enzymes would still be trying to convert sugars and your intended profile wouldn't be what you got.
I did 60 minutes @ ~152,
Then "batch sparged" @ roughly 160 so I might not have mashed out, but definately need more liquid. Now I'm at around 7 gallons and I did a SG (preboil - right?) @ 1.052. Its now boiling! So we'll see!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

If you batch sparge, there's no need for a real mashout- the wort is plenty dilute so your sugar is extracted just fine and you start the boil immediately so there's no need to "set" the mash profile- the boil does that for you. Let us know how it turns out!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

How much liquid you need for the sparge depends on how much you were able to get on the first runnings and on how much you boil off. I keep a slow rolling boil in a narrow pot and boil off about half a gallon in the hour. You might do more. If you don't boil off enough you can continue boiling.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
rdann87
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Super jealous that you can start a brew 2:45 on a friday!

.. been daydreaming about homebrew for what seems like hours.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I wouldn't worry too much about a mash out. I don't think many people really do them anymore but someone can correct me if I am wrong about that. I did them for a while and then stopped and didn't notice much of a difference. Seems to me you made some sort of hoppy english style amber or something like that. Do you know what your efficiency was? Seems like it should be a pretty tasty beer. Hope it turns out well!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdann87 View Post
Super jealous that you can start a brew 2:45 on a friday!

.. been daydreaming about homebrew for what seems like hours.
I suppose it would make you very jealous if I told you I started a brew on a Tuesday at 7:30 in the morning then? How about if I mentioned starting one on the following day at 8:00 AM?

I also suppose your back feels fine if you lift a 50 pound sack of grain? Now I'm jealous.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
How much liquid you need for the sparge depends on how much you were able to get on the first runnings and on how much you boil off. I keep a slow rolling boil in a narrow pot and boil off about half a gallon in the hour. You might do more. If you don't boil off enough you can continue boiling.
Exactly, I actually make more sparge water than I need, (I fly sparge however), and often times I leave some liquid in the mash tun that I did not need. Sometimes if I boil off more than expected I'll even add a bit of water or some wort if it's no more than half way through the start of the boil. Just tiny little adjustments, a quart or what have you, nothing too scientific.

Quick Reply