110 gal (2-55 gal drums) mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like a more vertical design MLT, but that is pushing it quite a bit. 55 gallon dimensions are about what I would consider the limit. It doesn't seem like an issue at smaller volumes like the 5 & 10 gallon water cooler conversions, but when you get that much height it is bound to cause some channeling.

Very challenging to integrate that into a brw rig, methinks.

Plus, according to federal law, that would be half the max amount of volume of homebrew any one adult can brew in a year.

Plus, according to federal law, that would be half the max amount of volume of homebrew any one adult can brew in a year.

It would be used for a group brew... I like brewing too much to do it once a year.

Legalities aside, I'm trying to come up with some ideas for 1.5bbl equipment. This has just enough room to mash a 1.5bbl batch of barleywine at around 1.25qt/lb.

What about this one? http://www.bubbasbarrels.com/100-gallon-stainless-steel-drum It's a bit more expensive, but closer to your 55 gal drum dimensions. 27" diameter x 46" tall

You need to start shopping scapyards. $500 for a used barrel? No thanks.

How often have you run across a 100 gallon stainless barrel? Do you know what industry uses them or what would be shipped in them?

htc said:
How often have you run across a 100 gallon stainless barrel? Do you know what industry uses them or what would be shipped in them?

Actually a lot of people repurpose dairy equipment so you can start looking there, I've heard a lot of stuff can be picked up pretty cheap!

It's actually very common to come across large vessels at scrapyards. Unfortunately, the yard jockeys pay no mind to damage they do slamming the things around. If you can make friends with the foreman, and by friends I mean "guy you bribe", have him look out for tanks and barrels coming in and have the guys put it off to the side. A $20 in his pocket on top of what you'd pay for the stainless is decent incentive to not toss it on the mountain of stainless for at least a day or two.

I did a search and there's a few yards around here, I'll give em a look-see. Thanks!!

Back