Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #861
CodyA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
This may have been answered somewhere in the preceding 84 pages, but in case it hasn't: How do you cut the bevel in the tip of the racking cane? Hacksaw? Hot knife? Table saw? Dremel? What's the best way to get a clean cut?
80 grit sand paper at an angle, then smoothed it with finer sand paper. It took me less than a minute. That plastic does NOT hold up well against sand paper.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #862
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Just used this method and it seemed to work great other than the beer I wanted to keg was in a pin lock and I made one with a ball lock .....DUH

Guess I will make another

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 11-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #863
Inkleg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Thanks BierMuncher, I just bottled 24 of your Centennial Blondes and 12 of the house IPA to take to a party.
The process went smooth and worked perfect. Lost less the 1/4 cup of beer.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #864
ThorGodOfThunder
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts

I know some carbonation is lost during any bottling process, so if I am bottling a cider that I want at 2.7 vols of co2, what should I carbonate it to? I planned on going to 2.85 or something close.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #865
HaveADrinkOnMe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I successfully bottled a number of bottles and growlers just using the bottling cane attached to the dispensing faucet, pretty much fits exactly but I did notice that it was helpful to not even start dispensing until you had the cane inserted in the faucet and then had the cane all the way down in the bottom of the bottle/growler allowing it to be open before you flip the faucet on to pour, other wise you will shoot the bottling cane out of the faucet insert thus causing spillage and stickiness.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #866
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The other thing I noticed using this method my beers come out crystal clear

Old 11-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #867
Bacon488
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorGodOfThunder View Post
I know some carbonation is lost during any bottling process, so if I am bottling a cider that I want at 2.7 vols of co2, what should I carbonate it to? I planned on going to 2.85 or something close.
You really shouldn't lose much if you a) dispense under very low pressure (barely enough to push the beer) and b) keep everything as cold as possible from the keg to the beer line to the bottles. I don't change the carbonation at all and the first beer I ever entered in a competition won best of show. So I don't sweat the carbonation loss too much.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #868
ThorGodOfThunder
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts

Cool, thanks Bacon. When I bottle this batch I intend to wait for a pretty cold day out (low 40s at least) and let everything sit outside overnight to get cold. Then I'll just bottle it on my deck so everything stays consistently chilled over the bottling process. I don't know what I'll do in the summer, but we'll figure it out then.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #869
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

just made one of these today. it was quick and lovely. i will say that it wasn't mess-free though.

even with the worm clamp over my picnic faucet, it dripped slowly. plus after every squirt, there's the slow drain from the racking cane. i did it myself however. so with assistance it would have been better.

I also found that i needed to constantly "burp" the bung to allow excess pressure to release. no biggie though

Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #870
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So I just got back some score sheets from a competition I entered (foamcup.us) The 3 entries I used this method with all had comments about oxidation flaws...from 6 separate judges. I had two other entries where I didn't use this method and didn't get the comments.

I did do the put the cap on flip up over and purge the oxygen before capping. So not sure what was up. I didn't get ding for low carbonation or anything like that.

One of my brewing buddies mentioned he got the same comments using the same method....anyone else deal with this issue using the method...Personally I'm a little shock such a small amount of oxygen can cause oxidation in a week. Put I can't think of anything else that would of caused it...it was great coming out of the keg....maybe bottles weren't rinsed well enough???

Thoughts???

Quick Reply