uneven carbonation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Gordon_Freeman

Reaction score
I am finding that some of my bottles are well to over carbed and some have almost no carb at all. At first I thought it was just the gaskets on the fliptops leaking but now I think it might be that the priming sugar was not well mixed in the bottling bucket.

Do any of you guys stir the bottling bucket to mix the sugar water in? I never have for fear of contaminating (and laziness to sanitize the stir paddle).

You know that's really NOT an issue.....the liquid of the priming solution, really DOES mix fine on it's own. The natural motion of the beer filling the bucket and rising up really is enough motion to integrate it together just fine.

You are mixing a small amount of liguid to a larger volume of liquid, and it's going to distribute itself equally just fine. It's not like we are adding dry sugar to our bottling bucket and mixing that with the beer....the two liquids mix together and the sugar water dillutes just fine.

Inconsistant carbonation, simple means that they are not ready yet. If you had opened them a week later, or even two, you never would have noticed. Each one is it's own little microcosm, and although generally the should come up at the same time, it's not an automatic switch, and they all pop on.

A tiny difference in temps between bottles in storage can affect the yeasties, speed them up or slow them down. Like if you store them in a closet against a warm wall, the beers closest to the heat source may be a tad warmer than those further way, so thy may carb/condition at slightly different rates. I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time.

Give you bottles a little roll on a table to re-suspend the yeast, and stick them back in the over 70 closet ofr at least another week, or two..and they ALL will be carbed up just fine.

For more info on carbing and conditioning go here;

Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

I've never had an issue like that, and I don't stir. I've come to believe that's one of the rationalization new brewers come up with rather than looking at the fact that they simply weren't ready yet.

If you really feel like it will make you feel better. In the future put half in the bucket, then pour half when the level of the racked beer reaches the half way point....

But meh. That's more to make the brewer feel better, than imho it really doing anything.

When I was bottling beers I would always mix in the sugar and give it a good stir. I didn't worry about oxidation because I figured the yeast would take care of that during the carbing process.
Also you can rack the beer on top of your priming solution to help get things mixed up.

It's also another example of why kegging is the ****.

I disagree. This has happened on past batches that had been in the bottle at room temp for months.

If you disagree, then you disagree....

Stir it or don't then (and if you do, do it carefully)...There's really only two answers, you believe you need to stir or you don't. I've never had to stir, and my bottles have carbed just fine, eventually.

If it works for you to stir, then do it. It'sone of those things that folks will debate back and forth ad nauseum....

*shrug*

I keep saying one of these days I'm gonna brew a lighter srm beer, and going to dye my solution green or something and film it dilluting itself just fine...maybe it will put the argument to bed.

If you disagree, then you disagree....

Stir it or don't then (and if you do, do it carefully)...There's really only two answers, you believe you need to stir or you don't. I've never had to stir, and my bottles have carbed just fine, eventually.

If it works for you to stir, then do it. It'sone of those things that folks will debate back and forth ad nauseum....

*shrug*

There is actually a third answer-- that the gaskets are leaking on the flip tops..

If stirring really makes no difference, then this is probably what's happening.

I would like to see just how the wort and sugar mix, so please do your video :)

There is actually a third answer-- that the gaskets are leaking on the flip tops..

If stirring really makes no difference, then this is probably what's happening.

I would like to see just how the wort and sugar mix, so please do your video :)

I thought you said you ruled it out. Yeah gaskets are a possibility. I rarely use them in favor of crown caps. If you've gotten multiple uses out of the bottles, you can get the gaskets online or at most homebrewstores. Also double check the cage mechanism to make sure it is actually seating them properly...also make sure the lips of the bottles are free of anything that could prevent them from sealing.

You could also use balloons, condoms or cut the fingers out of rubber gloves and slip them over the bottle to seal if they expand any during the process. Maybe a rubber band to hold the rubber in place.

I don't stir unless I add the priming solution in after the beer is in the bottling bucket. Like someone mentioned if the priming solution is in the bucket before you start racking the beer over, it should mix on it's own pretty well.

Have you had the issue before with regular crown caps?

i'm having a similar situation with my 1st batch

however i Know that i made a mistake at bottling and did not boil the priming sugar (4.5oz corn sugar) before racking on top of it.

tomorrow will be 4 weeks in the bottle at 68-72deg

ive tried about 5 bottles so far, only one was carbonated and it was way over carbonated (it was in the fridge for 60 hours before opening) and it was also one of the last bottles that was filled.

the other samples i have tried were from some of the 1st bottles to be filled, i tried another last night that had been chilled for 48+ hours and gave a faint fizz sound when opened but had zero head when poured and had little carbonation rise to the top and tasted flat

can i attempt to add more sugar directly to the bottles that were filled 1st? i know i'll prob risk bottle bombs but am curious what a safe amount to add will be and how best to add it (dry sugar or boiled with h2o?) or is it possible that they will carb up properly given a lot more time to condition?

Latest posts

Back