Spunding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukeedogs

Reaction score
Hi everyone , I built a spunding valve and an using it for the first time tomorrow , do I just use a carbonation calculator as if I were carbing in a keg to know where to set the psi, and when to transfer it? Thx for the replies

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No help, but a little confused.......

The "spunding valve" ferment does not take the place of force or bottle carbing, as least that's the way I've understood it.

I think you're just looking for a "positive pressure" in the ferment vessel, but I could be mistaken.

Co2 absobstion rate should always be the same though right? Whether I'm force carbing in a keg or I'm a fermentor with a spund I think.....???

If you are asking what PSI the spunding valve should be set at to allow for carbonation to occur during the fermentation then you will first want a Pressure gauge on your spunding valve setup so you can monitor the actual pressure. In my experience with my valve, the numbers on it don't mean jack. Secondly, you do not want to allow the pressure to build up to the amount that you would want to let it carbonate at room temp until the majority of the fermentation is complete or else you won't finish attenuating.

Lastly, yes, to calculate what pressure the vessel should be under at room temperature to gain a particular volume of CO2, use the same calculator used when force carbing cold. Just change the temp!

Cool. Yeah , I hav a psi gauge , so I'll leave that set low like at 2 or 3 psi, when the yeast starts it's thing, then when it's like 5 points from finishing adjust my valve to let it rise to whatever psi I want it to be at for carbing at what temp my room is right?

yes. I am new at this process so I raise the pressure later in the fermentation and just compensate with some CO2. So naturally I make it up to 18 PSI +/- and add CO2 to bring it up. This makes me feel more comfortable with getting full attenuation.

So the pressure causes the yeast to not attenuate? Cool! Hahah

Back