quick drill question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPing

Reaction score
I'm probably gonna need to drill a hole in a fridge to input a CO2 line. I have read on here that the freon lines run on the just inside the outer wall of the fridge. So, if I drill from the inside to the insulation, move the insulation out of the way, then check for freon lines should I be fine?

Does anyone know if this is where freon runs for most mini fridges? The one I would be doing it to is a Sanyo 3730 (im waiting for a good find on craigslist or the like to upgrade to a proper kegerator)

Thanks

That's one way to do it. Some folks are using the condensation drain hole for that purpose, if one's available. Others are squeezing the CO2 tank into the inside of the kegerator with the cornies.

unfortunately i dont have a drain hole in my fridge, and my CO2 tank is a 20#'er!

right now i decided to make a small "ditch" in the fridge door's rubber seal and just run the line in through there. doesnt look too great, but right now i just wanna get this beer ready to drink!

KingPing said:
I'm probably gonna need to drill a hole in a fridge to input a CO2 line. I have read on here that the freon lines run on the just inside the outer wall of the fridge. So, if I drill from the inside to the insulation, move the insulation out of the way, then check for freon lines should I be fine?

Does anyone know if this is where freon runs for most mini fridges? The one I would be doing it to is a Sanyo 3730 (im waiting for a good find on craigslist or the like to upgrade to a proper kegerator)

Thanks

yeah that's the way I did it, but you won't be able to just move the insulation out of the way. It's not fiberglass like in a wall, it's hard polystyrene. you'll have to scrape it away with a screwdriver or something. But it works. Then once you have your lines in, fill in the gaps with Great Stuff.

Another (very messy) method, is to slather your fridge with a cornstarch solution while it is running. The solution dries out quickly over the coils.

david_42 said:
Another (very messy) method, is to slather your fridge with a cornstarch solution while it is running. The solution dries out quickly over the coils.

would you put it over the inside or the outside? also would you have a quick recipe for this solution off the top or your head?

Just a thin paste with cornstarch and vodka. Spread it on thinly and evenly, and you'll see it dry quickest where the refrigerant lines are.

Back