*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > PSI reading - carbonate with sugar in keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
TimelessCynic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default PSI reading - carbonate with sugar in keg

I am going to try and carbonate with sugar inside my keg. I have a ball valve with a pressure gauge that I could attach to it. In general, what should I hold my pressure at and for how long. 10 days at 30 psi and 65F? Would that yield 2.58 volumes of CO2 in my beer? I pulled those numbers from a chart just not sure about the length of time and if my gauge would tell me if it were ready or not.

I will measure out my sugars correctly before hand and I could just wait 3 weeks to be sure but I want to be more scientific than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
Jupapabear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When I set my kegs to 30 for force carbing, I use no sugar. I would assume that priming the keg with sugar and a high psi setting may over carb your beer. Maybe stick to just serving pressures.
Hopefully someone with more experience with priming kegs and step in on this.

Primary: Yoop's Pale Ale
Kegged Ed's Haus Pale Ale
Kegged Bell's Two Hearted IPA Clone
Recently Bottled: Russian Imperial Stout
Up Next: Deception Cream Stout, Ed's Haus

Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Hello
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1393 Times on 973 Posts
Likes Given: 2176

I just added corn sugar, half what I would have added for bottling, then purged the O2 about 7 times and left the CO2 in there the final time. I did it at 25 PSI. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessCynic View Post
I am going to try and carbonate with sugar inside my keg. I have a ball valve with a pressure gauge that I could attach to it. In general, what should I hold my pressure at and for how long. 10 days at 30 psi and 65F? Would that yield 2.58 volumes of CO2 in my beer? I pulled those numbers from a chart just not sure about the length of time and if my gauge would tell me if it were ready or not.

I will measure out my sugars correctly before hand and I could just wait 3 weeks to be sure but I want to be more scientific than that.

I keg condition all my beers. I start by boiling 3/4 oz/ gal of priming malt (darker beers) or priming sugar ( light beers) in about 2 cups of water. Chill in a bowl of ice then pour into the keg. Fill keg w/ CO2. Relapse pressure and transfer your beer to the keg. A blanket of CO2 will remain protecting against oxidation. Then close keg & and seal w/ CO2. I leave my kegs at room temp for two weeks.
Chill the keg for a couple of days w/ the CO2 line attached @ serving pressure. Then connect tap line and enjoy.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
TimelessCynic
Recipes 

That's for the input everyone. It will be interesting observing the internal
pressure throughout the conditioning process. Since it's an IPA i will use 1 cup of sugar instead of the standard 3/4. And I will leave it undisturbed for two weeks to be sure it carbs.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
That's for the input everyone. It will be interesting observing the internal
pressure throughout the conditioning process. Since it's an IPA i will use 1 cup of sugar instead of the standard 3/4. And I will leave it undisturbed for two weeks to be sure it carbs.

That's likely going to result in a foamy overcarbonated mess for a variety of reasons. Measuring your sugar by weight rather than volume is much more accurate. Depending on the type and coarseness of the sugar, there can be rather large differences in the amount of sugar that fits into a cup. 3/4 of a cup of sugar weighs on average a little over 5 oz, which would result in ~2.75 vol of carbonation if bottling, which is on the high side (BJCP suggests 1.5-2.3 vol for IPA's). One cup of sugar would result in ~3.5 vol of carbonation, which is very difficult to serve from a keg without foaming problems. The difference in relative headspace between bottling kegging requires that you use less priming sugar in the keg to achieve the same carb level. Many people use 1/2-2/3 the amount they would for bottling. It's a whole lot better to have your beer slightly undercarbed than overcarbed. If it's undercarbed, once it's been at serving pressure for a few days it will come up to exactly where it needs to be. If it's overcarbed, you'll have to disconnect the gas and vent the pressure every time you think of it for a few days to lower the carb level.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 03-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
tootal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I don't want to offend anybody but I don't really understand why you would want to carbonate a beer using sugar, corn syrup or wort once you're in a keg?
I force carbonate my kegged beer in 10 minutes and it's ready to drink. Nice thick head and it's just right every time. Am I missing something?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 AM   #8
TimelessCynic
Recipes 

Default PSI reading - carbonate with sugar in keg

Your not missing anything tootal. I simply want to do it because i never have before. And i brew soo frequently i don't have time constraints so 10 weeks or 10 minutes are not that different.

And Moore. I'm gonna try with 1 cup. And purge my keg if it is to over carbed. I don't care what jcvd or whomever recommended.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:38 AM   #9
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Your not missing anything tootal. I simply want to do it because i never have before. And i brew soo frequently i don't have time constraints so 10 weeks or 10 minutes are not that different.

And Moore. I'm gonna try with 1 cup. And purge my keg if it is to over carbed. I don't care what jcvd or whomever recommended.

I find that I end up w/ a much more consistent carbonation by keg conditioning as above. It only takes 10-14 days & it doesn't require as much CO2.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:48 AM   #10
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Just wanted you to be aware that it's going to result in over 3.5 vol of carbonation, which is really really high. If that's what you're going for, you're going to need to serve your beer near freezing and use extremely long beer lines. Even then it will likely be problematic.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Quick Reply