Priming water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering im bottling a bigger batch than five gallons, and I used brewersfriend.com priming calculator and it says for a 6.2 gallon batch I would need 4.9 oz of corn sugar but would I still use the same amount of water for that batch? Also is corn sugar the same as dextrose? I might use that instead of table sugar if its a good substitute?

Yeah corn sugar and dextrose are the same thing. Table sugar and corn sugar are both good to use for priming.

It doesn't really matter how much water you use as long as you get all of the sugar to dissolve and you're not using so much that you're significantly diluting your beer. For 4.9 oz of sugar, whatever you normally use is fine. I usually use like a cup or a cup and a half I think.

In either case you should use as little water as possible to dissolve the sugar.
Corn sugar is the same as dextrose and it's well known for producing neutral flavors once fermented out.
Though it won't change things too much, be sure to adjust your priming calculations for the sugar you are using. Dextrose behaves differently than sucrose, honey, or malt extract.
In most cases the difference is small enough not to matter but if you're going for very high or very low carbonation volumes it may be noticeable.

Thank you for the quick answer cause im bottling right now lol. But ok ill use dextrose and same amount of water as before, thank you for the quick response.

Back