Priming sugar in 2nd or 3rd pail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rra24403

Reaction score
I have been putting my priming sugar 3/4 or corn sugar or 1 1/4 dme into a 3rd container after boiling it for 10 min then I syphon the beer from my 2nd fermenter on top of the priming sugar. Finally I syphon into my bottles and cap.

I was asking my local brew shop about my 1st lager beer and was wondering if I need to add alittle more yeast before bottleing as it has been 6 weeks total at 48 degrees and I don't want to have flat beer if you know what I mean.

They told me that they don't suggest putting beer in a 3rd container before bottleing just put the prim:mug: ing sugar in the secondary when you are ready and lightly stir, wait 5 mins and start loading your bottlesl. They said that this should keep from having flat beers.
They also said it's safer by not going to the third container then to bottles.
Just wondering what you all think about this idea?
Thanks
Cheers

rra24403 said:
They told me that they don't suggest putting beer in a 3rd container before bottleing just put the priming sugar in the secondary when you are ready and lightly stir, wait 5 mins and start loading your bottles.
Hmmn. So I've just let my beer settle and clear in my secondary for two full weeks. There is very thin layer of white sediment at the bottom of the carboy, and above it the beer is clear and beautiful. Now I want to stir it up in the priming process? To this amateur, this sounds like a bad idea.

I'd welcome some opinions from those with more experience.

You are wiser than them in the ways of brewing.:)
I'd take any advice they give you with a pinch of salt. Make your own mind up.

BlindLemonLars is correct.

Exactly, rack it to a secondary or a bucket to prime it, then bottle. My LHBS has told me some rediculous things. OH, like making a lager yeast starter 24 hours in advance is PLENTY of time to make a starter for a lager at 50F. Um, not buying it, I WANT to start it a week in advance to step it up to a large sarter... they argued with me for a while about that... GRRRR..

:fro:

Pol

Well, they are right about one thing- the beer wouldn't be flat. It would definitely carbonate.

I would never do that, particularly in a lager! A lager is crisp and clean tasting, that is the whole point of the secondary and the lagering period. Why would you stir that mess back up in it?

I didn't add more yeast to my lager, and it carbed up just fine. But I know some people do add a bit of yeast at bottling to ensure enough yeast. I think there is still enough yeast in the beer to do the job.

I don't know that I would discard their recommendation out of hand. Again it is a matter of compromises and understanding what each process does.

I've certainly had plenty of yeast cakes that require a fairly vigourous agitation to get into solution for re-using or just cleaning my fermentor so a gentle stir wouldn't likely disturb too much stuff into solution and what it does would settle back out in your keg or bottle. If you were brewing hefes or darker ales etc again wouldn't really matter that much. The advantage would be ease, less risk of oxidation and infection and 1 fewer piece of equipment.

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply.

I agree with what you are saying this is why I posted this to get some feed back.
They did say to gently stir not to get crazy when I put in the priming sugar.

I did just try this on my 1st Kolsch and I didn't disturb the trub but stirred lightly with my racking cain. Really no sediment was messed up. We'll see how the foam goes in few weeks.
Thanks again.

Back