Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwinzing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I always keg and today I had a batch of Winter Warmer ready and decided to bottle it instead of using one of my empty kegs. Well I boiled the sugar and added it to the bucket and added my beer. I didn't let the sugar cool. I got to thinking when I was done if this was correct or should I have let it cool.

Thanks

I've made the same whoops, didnt let the priming sugar cool....everything turned out just fine...but now I normally remember to let it cool a bit before racking on top of it.

Yeah, you'll be fine. We're talking like 1 to 1.5 cups of hot sugar water in a 5 gallon batch, right? There are 80 cups in 5 gallons, so that one cup of hot water isn't gonna make a difference in the temperature of the batch.

Of course, those poor yeasties in the direct path of the pour have gone to meet their maker, but them's the breaks... :D

I never let the syrup cool, just pour it in and start racking. It's worked out fine for a 100 or so batches so I see no reason to change it.

Back