Pin lock purge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callback79

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to know how people purge theirs pin lock kegs since we don't have manual pressure release valve on lid.

I've read many threads where people talks about filling the keg with co2 and then pressing the gas poppet. But I don't really think this is a good way to purge a keg since the gas dip tub is just above the beer, it will sucks co2 that sits on top of the beer...not the oxygen at the top of the keg.

Am I wrong ?

I would think that the residual air and CO2 mix to equilibrium almost immediately with little to no stratification. The purging process is just a dilution of the air in the keg. As long as the gas-in tube is not below the beer level, there shouldn't be much difference between using a pressure relief in the lid or the gas-in poppet for purging.

Hi,

I'd like to know how people purge theirs pin lock kegs since we don't have manual pressure release valve on lid.

I've read many threads where people talks about filling the keg with co2 and then pressing the gas poppet. But I don't really think this is a good way to purge a keg since the gas dip tub is just above the beer, it will sucks co2 that sits on top of the beer...not the oxygen at the top of the keg.

Am I wrong ?

CO2 that sits on top of the beer? I'm not sure I follow you. You're talking about purging the headspace of a keg with beer already in it?

In any case, as raouiliii mentioned, this idea that beer is protected from oxygen by a layer of heavier CO2 is mostly of an old wives tale. Gases homogenize within whatever space they've got relatively quickly, especially if there's any kind of turbulence (like from a CO2 tank).

All of my pinlock gas diptubes are essentially just a short gasket holder. No penetration into the keg at all. You'd really have to overfill for it to be a problem.

So you cut them down pretty short, Bobby?

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Back