Old soda Kegs, been years, they look great! Need startup recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidbait

Reaction score
First post, whats up?

Well, I am getting back into brewing after about 6 years off. I have 2 brews bubbling away!

Anyway, I opened up all 5 of my old 5G. soda kegs that havn't seen light in years, and wow, they look great inside! They even have some clean water at the bottom from the last time I cleaned them out. There are no signs of mold, no smell, I am kinda proud of myself for my thorough cleaning job :)

So, the seals look good, they are keeping pressure, the fill tube (can't rememer the name) is spotless inside....what do you suggest I do to get them ready for some brew? What is the latest cleaner (not sanitizer) that I should purchase. Any recommendations on getting my rigs ready to pour would be great!

I am a big fan of Professional Brewery Wash (PBW) made by Five Star. I also use oxyclean free (no scent).

Starsan is a nice sanitizer that is no rinse.

O-rings are cheap. Given the age of the ones on your kegs, if it were me, I'd pony up the few buck and get a new set. Wouldn't hurt. A little keg lube (also very cheap) and you're on your way!

Welcome, BTW!

O-rings are cheap. Given the age of the ones on your kegs, if it were me, I'd pony up the few buck and get a new set. Wouldn't hurt. A little keg lube (also very cheap) and you're on your way!

Welcome, BTW!

+1 to this! And I also second the PBW and Starsan combo, it's what I use here!

Thanks for the replies guys, doesn't look like I missed too much in the last half decade, other than a few brain cells maybe :cross:

Back