Old fridge for Keggerator - Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestro

Reaction score
Okay everyone, here goes:

I stumbled upon this old Kelvinator fridge that still runs and just needs some TLC (aka, a couple weekends project). Already has one hole for a pass-through tap and an exterior mount CO2 tank (would like to make it internal).

Problem, the ice box inside on the top left makes me have enough space for only one keg. I want to remove/move the ice box but I can't find anything online on how to do this!

Ideally, I'd like to have a minimum of 2 taps with enough for a possible three taps. Or be able to have two kegs and a carboy for cold-crashing.

Thoughts/advice/ HELP!!

kelvinator.jpg

Oh, and yes I plan on cleaning it up and putting newer insulation inside it. Thinking of using some higher grade pink stuff or even just spray foam...then painting it black with maybe a chalk board front to it.

Keep in mind I have no practical experience but I would think if you removed the plastic surroundings in the ice box you will likely find a few coolant lines. I would (as per other kegerator threads on dorm fridges) attempt to CAREFULLY bend the lines out of my way. That wold give you the room needed. Again. "I have no practical experience " but that is where I would start had a SIL not gifted me a chest freezer.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Just like in a mini fridge, the ice box is the cooling lines. If you remove it, you'll have a really cool looking cabinet.

With the age on these, I would highly recommend against bending the cooling lines. I have a 1949 GE fridge that I tried to rehab. In the process of replacing the insulation, the simple act of unbolting the cooling lines from the top of the fridge and sliding the whole refrigeration unit out the back, they developed a pinhole leak. The metal that makes up these evaporators is thicker than what you find in a mini fridge and likely would not bend well at all.

If you want a second tap, I'd suggest getting a 3 gallon corney to put under the freezer section.

On an unrelated note, what's in the drawer on bottom?

On an unrelated note, what's in the drawer on bottom?

I have no idea...I thought that was the freezer portion but...again I have no idea.

I like the look of this fridge and if I was able to re-furb it, then I'd have one hell of a great looking kegerator with so much potential. But you are right when it comes to the ice box.

First and foremost, I think this may be above my skill level of refurb. I was hoping for a simple reno but this may be more than it's worth. The guy is a home brewer as well and says he could only fit in one keg, and as such upgraded.

I hate to say it, but I may just pass on this all together.

Starting to even wonder if it's worth it...I mean for $100 it sounds like a great deal, but if I can't move or remove that ice box, then really, what good is it? Sure I can put 1 keg in there but let's be honest, who only wants 1 keg???

I have a Kelvinator beer fridge I use for commercial kegs, my freezer is not configured that way, it is a rectangular box on top that gives me enough room for 1/2 kegs.
There is a tray that looks useless under the freezer but in fact is critical to keep in place or it will freeze the keg.
So...word of caution if you remove that ice box you may freeze everything.
If you pull that shelf out does it give you room to put kegs under the ice box?

I have no idea...I thought that was the freezer portion but...again I have no idea.

My first reaction was, "Well, open it up and find out!" But it's clear now that you haven't pulled the trigger on this, so that makes sense. If there was a way to utilize that space, you might have a chance at fitting kegs under the icebox, but that would require significant metal work. We haven't heard back yet on the last thread where someone tried to expand their vintage fridge by hacking it up and welding in new extra sheet metal.

My advice would be either to pass or to do the best job you can on it with one keg and then sell it to try and make a profit, though that last one may be a challenge because you're right. Who want's only 1 keg.

Back