Kegging question, probably stupid...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Is there any way to charge a keg with a set psi at a stable temperature to obtain a set co2 volume without leaving it on the gas?

For instance, if I wanted 3.5 volumes at 38°F I would need 21-22psi. What pressure would I need to charge the keg to, in order to reach the 3.5 volumes without leaving the keg on the gas?

Basically, I would like to carbonate my kegs without having to leave them in my kegerator. I would like to charge them, let them sit at the desired temp, and connect them when convenient.

Is this possible? Would it require more pressure than a corny keg can handle?

(i don't know but...) you can look up the pressure needed to carb at room temp, pressurize the keg to that level, and then drag it over next to the ol' kegerator a couple times a day and blast it back up. takes a while but it will get you there. of course this will work better with half full kegs, works great for carbing up 10 liters of skeeter pee in a 20 L keg in about a week

Hi

The volume of gas "needed" by the beer has to be present. If you have 5 gallons of beer in a 15 gallon keg, then yes you can get 2+ volumes of CO2 into the beer without leaving it on CO2. Probably not a really good way to do it though.

Bob

Hi

The volume of gas "needed" by the beer has to be present. If you have 5 gallons of beer in a 15 gallon keg, then yes you can get 2+ volumes of CO2 into the beer without leaving it on CO2. Probably not a really good way to do it though.

Bob

That's what I figured--not enough volume/space within the keg to adequately carb a beer "off" gas.

I suppose it would be done and discussed more often if it were feasible.

Just natural car with corn sugar if you will leave keg at room temp for 2-3 weeks. I do it all the time and works great.

Back