Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I love bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #101
psymonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I keg my beer for the most part. I can handle four cornies in my kegerator, but only have two on draft at a time through the tower (thinking of adding a couple of party hoses so I can have four available) My observation is that kegging is only superior to bottling if you can have a ton of variety on tap, which takes up a lot of space and gets really expensive. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kegged beer, and having beer on draft at all times. And the process, how could one not love that over cleaning, sanitizing, filling, capping and storing that many bottles? But that magic of having a dozen different types of beer beautifully aged and conditioned in the bottle is priceless. Yes, bottling is a pain in the butt in comparison. And, at one time I had a dozen cases of beer stacked in my dining room and it was getting a bit tacky to SWMBO, but we both agree that for us, bottling is where it's at. If I could only have one option, for all the extra work it would be bottles. We're most-likely going to switch back to bottling most batches, and keeping a few basic house-beers on tap. I can't sing the praises of kegging enough, but it isn't flat out superior to me as with the either/or zealots on this site. A combination of the two is where it's at, at least for this household. It's hard to understand how folks can be SO extremist on the subject..

Now, if I can ever convince the wife to let me build a 12 draft system, I might come back singing another tune but for most folks that isn't a viable option.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #102
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymonkey
I keg my beer for the most part. I can handle four cornies in my kegerator, but only have two on draft at a time through the tower (thinking of adding a couple of party hoses so I can have four available) My observation is that kegging is only superior to bottling if you can have a ton of variety on tap, which takes up a lot of space and gets really expensive. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kegged beer, and having beer on draft at all times. And the process, how could one not love that over cleaning, sanitizing, filling, capping and storing that many bottles? But that magic of having a dozen different types of beer beautifully aged and conditioned in the bottle is priceless. Yes, bottling is a pain in the butt in comparison. And, at one time I had a dozen cases of beer stacked in my dining room and it was getting a bit tacky to SWMBO, but we both agree that for us, bottling is where it's at. If I could only have one option, for all the extra work it would be bottles. We're most-likely going to switch back to bottling most batches, and keeping a few basic house-beers on tap. I can't sing the praises of kegging enough, but it isn't flat out superior to me as with the either/or zealots on this site. A combination of the two is where it's at, at least for this household. It's hard to understand how folks can be SO extremist on the subject..

Now, if I can ever convince the wife to let me build a 12 draft system, I might come back singing another tune but for most folks that isn't a viable option.
Amen

image-179516440.jpg
image-3971704684.jpg  

Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #103
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 57 Posts

^ that's hilarious!

I like bottling. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about using a keg as the bottling "bucket" instead of the traditional bucket. I've done this too and really like it. I feel much better knowing my beer is in a pressurized system while I'm bottling and that everything is much easier to sanitize than the spigot and bucket.
I also like having kegged beer. I have a 2 tap kegerator and want more variety so I bottle a batch here and there. I've got like 4 or 5 batches in bottles right now, it's pretty cool.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:05 AM   #104
moski
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I like bottling and it just makes sense for me. I can have multiple beers bottled and just have a few in the fridge at a time versus an 8 tap kegerator taking up room. And bottling has a kind of Zen aspect to it.

Before you judge someone, be sure to walk a mile in their kilt. That way you are at least a mile away, and you have their kilt...

What?! Fifteen cases of beer and not a drop to drink!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 AM   #105
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 154

I have been bottling for 2 years. I have just purchased a 2 keg system, yet to arrive. I plan to keg a batch and if any is left when the next batch is ready I will bottle what is left in the lowest keg to free up the keg for the new brew.

BTW I don't really like or hate bottling. It has been what I have had to do so far.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #106
LoloMT7
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1242 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 3240

I like to keg ipa, blondes, and stouts. All of my belgian beers get bottled though. I like to let them sit a few months before drinking them

"Here's to you and here's to me and if we should ever disagree f* you and here's to me." My good Friend pasted away in 2004. In memory of Nick M.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #107
Felixio
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I can only bottle at the moment, but I would love to get my hands on a keg and a bottling gun. I want to be able to force carb sodas and then bottle them for my dad who loves quality craft root beer.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #108
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I think the love or hate about bottling comes down to how you go about it. I read the bottling sticky in this forum and then added some touches for my setup. For me, in my kitchen layout, it works great to bottle. Bottling takes anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes depending on the size of bottles I use. This counts the ten minutes active prep at the sink with a bottle washer, then filling above the dishwasher which holds the clean bottles), the capping and the clean up. Just put music on and start rolling.

The big thing I made sure was to make everything as comfortable as possible. I put my bottling bucket (no hose style) on top of a stock pot which allows me to sit in a chair and sit normally and fill bottles to which I set on a nearby counter and bottle there. It doesn't take long, doesn't hurt my back and cleans up by closing the dishwasher door.

I think if you find bottling a drag, take a look at how you're going about it and the layout you're working with. Would an adjustment here or there, change things for you?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #109
jmcquesten
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

Best improvement I made to my bottling process was adding a second spigot to my bottling bucket. It cost $4 for this mod and required a 1" hole to be drilled, and cuts filling time in half. Each spigot has a filler wand attached with a 1" piece of racking tubing. That, along with a bottle tree and vinator(pump sanitizer), really makes bottling day pretty quick. After capping with the bench capper, 25 bottles go in each milk crate and get sprayed off with the hose to clean any sticky overflow off. Once dry, they get stacked in the closet for a few weeks before cooling and drinking. Emptys go back in crates until it's time to do it again.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #110
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Now that I have been kegging the past few months, I still share the same views for bottling. I think for some beers, I'll just split a 5 gallon batch to a 2.5 gallon keg and and bottles. This not only gives me the option to have some bottle brew to go to a friend's house, but the smaller kegs will let me double the variety on tap.

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Quick Reply