How much priming sugar for a partial batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkeds

Reaction score
A question for the masses....

I'm thinking about upping my batch size from 5 gal to 8 gal and using the 5 gallons to fill a keg and bottle the remaining 3 gallons to share. My dilemma is that I don't know how to figure out how much priming sugar to use for the 3 gallons for successful bottle carbonation. Suggestions?

Just about every beer software has a carbonation calculator. I know that beersmith does.

A question for the masses....

I'm thinking about upping my batch size from 5 gal to 8 gal and using the 5 gallons to fill a keg and bottle the remaining 3 gallons to share. My dilemma is that I don't know how to figure out how much priming sugar to use for the 3 gallons for successful bottle carbonation. Suggestions?

Ratios.
If you use 10 ounces for 5 gallons, that's 2 ounces per gallon, which is 6 ounces for 3 gallons.
If you use 5 ounces for 5 gallons, that's 1 ounce per gallon, which is 3 ounces for 3 gallons.
The main part is figuring out what carbonation you want in the first place to find the sugar for 5 gallons, so any chart should have that information (http://byo.com/resources/carbonation for example). Calculators would make it easier by doing that ratio for you too.

Thanks all, that helps!

Now to readjust the recipe for 8 gallons and get to brewing... :mug:

Back