How much "excess pressure" to release?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackJohn

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just put some cream soda in a corny and starting it carbonating, and everything I have read said to make sure to relieve excess pressure while you are kegging by pulling the release valve. My question is, How much is excess? My thoughts are that as long as I have the keg hooked up to CO2, the valve is going to release CO2. How do I know if I have excess pressure? How do I know when to bleed pressure? Sorry for being such a n00b and thanks in advance! I'm sure its something simple that I'm missing.

The excess pressure is likely connected with natural carbonation method followed by CO2 to maintain the volumes as well as push the product.

If forced carbonating from the start there will be no "excess pressure" but it may be possible that folk are "burping" the keg to force the air out of the headspace. For the latter, 5 seconds should be enough.

Roger that. Thanks Gila, I figured it had to be simple! And yes, no yeast at all in this for me, straight on the tank from the start.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, so I'm not going to burp it. Like I said, first time using CO2 wanted to make sure I didn't spray cream soda all over the kitchen. Plus, this knowledge will help me when I brew my next beer!

I'm new to kegging also, but I don't think there is a need to let off excess pressure while carbing. The whole point is to let the pressure push that co2 into the beer (or cream soda). U should be able to "set and forget"

Latest posts

Back