Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How Do Kegs Work

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
ezzieyguywuf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How Do Kegs Work

I been searching and searching and can't seem to find an answer. My best guess is that the outlet, where the beer comes out, is attached to a tube or pipe that runs down to almost the bottom of the keg. Then the inlet, where the co2 comes in, just goes straight in the top, where there is no fluid. Therefore, when the co2 pushes against the top of the liquid, its forced out through tube/pipe. My question is: if this is how a keg works, won't there always be a little bit of beer left at the bottom? If this is the case, how would I get to that last little bit? Obviously with a hombrew keg you could just open her up and enjoy, but I'm dealing with commercial brew right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Yes, you will always have a tiny bit left. The bottom is cone shaped to direct all the liquid to the center where the dip tub picks it up. the closer the dip tube is to the bottom the more you pick up. You will not get it all. You'll likely have less than a pint left though. not enough to worry about.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
ezzieyguywuf
Recipes 

Excellent, that is good to know. Thank you for your reply.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some people even shorten the pick-up tube so they pick up less sediment from the bottom of the keg. I leave mine full length. Once the keg goes into the fridge I don't touch it. With a new keg there may be one glass worth clouded with yeast & sediment but after that the beer runs clear as long as I don't disturb the keg.

Quick Reply