Force Carbing Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
I've kegged 4 batches of beer so far. My first three batches were carbonated using the "set and forget" method at 10-12 psi. My last batch, I set to 30 psi and left it for about 3 days. I then vented the headspace and set it at 12 psi for serving. However, I am finding that the pressure on my regulator continues to creep up to 14-15 psi. When this happens, I vent the headspace and reset the pressure to 12 psi. When serving the beer at 12 psi through a 6-foot length of 3/16" beer line with a picnic faucet, there is considerable foaming, especially on the first pour. My guess is that this beer is carbonated to over 12 psi and after relieving the pressure and setting at 12 psi, the equilibrium pressure in the headspace is increasing to the 14-15 psi level. Has anyone else observed this sort of phenomenon?

When this had happened to me, I just shut the CO2 off. Continue to enjoy your beer until no more will come out of the faucet. Turn the CO2 back on to about 8psi, then shut it off again. Keep doing this until the beer seems to calm down, then re-set to 10PSI to enjoy.

Linc

yeah I think I over carbed my pumpkin ale so I guess I will try what Missing link said. Anyone else have a remedy for over carbed beer in a keg?

First, I would set your PSI to desired and then purge the head space; I've found this to be slightly more accurate. Also, insure the nut is tightened so the compressor won't vibrate/change your setting.

As far as overcarbed beer, I would imagine if you took it out of the fridge, purged the head space, shook it some, vent and repeat, put back in the fridge under low PSI once you have significant condensation, it would help some (the warmer temperature will help dissipate the CO2 in the beer). Too much and it might take away too much carbonization (WARNING I'm speculating, logically this will work, but never tried.. Let us know if you're feeling adventurous :)

Latest posts

Back