First time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew_101

Reaction score
I have got a quick question..I kegged my beer sunday going to use the set and forget method. I have got set to 12 psi and noticed my gague on tank dropping some each day, now it is about out of CO2. Its a 5 # tank.. Any thoughts.. Or am I just worrying for no reason.. I don't hear any gas leaking out.

Do you have your CO2 tank chilling with the keg? CO2 pressure will drop on the gauge if the cylinder is chilled too-even if the cylinder is full. So that's OK. As long as your sure you have no leaks. If you up the pressure, does gas rush in?

Which gauge are you talking about when you say that the tank is out of CO2? The high-pressure one (which is pretty much useless) or the one you had set at 12psi?

Which gauge are you talking about when you say that the tank is out of CO2? The high-pressure one (which is pretty much useless) or the one you had set at 12psi?

+1...no worries the tank pressure is useless...the only way to know when its out is by weighing it. the full tank is 5lb heavier then the empty weight. I use my grain scale (or house scale if you don't have one) and check it after 4-5 kegs to be sure I don't run out at an inopportune time...

hope this helps...

welcome to the wonderful work of kegging...it is awesome. :mug::mug:

Even if the tank is in the fridge the temp of the tank should have reached equilibrium with the fridge by the next day.

If the tank pressure is dropping a little each day over several days you might have a leak that is so slow that you can't hear it. Spray every connection with star-san or a thin soap solution. Be sure to check the keg lid /poppets/quick connects as well.

I keep a second tank so I don't run out at an inopportune time ;)

Even if the tank is in the fridge the temp of the tank should have reached equilibrium with the fridge by the next day.

If the tank pressure is dropping a little each day over several days you might have a leak that is so slow that you can't hear it. Spray every connection with star-san or a thin soap solution. Be sure to check the keg lid /poppets/quick connects as well.

I keep a second tank so I don't run out at an inopportune time ;)

I still think it's the cooling off of the tank. That high-pressure gauge does nothing at all useful. It will read a constant value (assuming the tank is kept at a constant temp) until you literally run out of gas and then it drops to zero almost immediately.

If the thing is falling slowly, then it's got to be temps causing it.

The temperature of the fridge will not change the pressure in the keg a whole lot (ideal gas uses absolute temp). Same thing happened to me...I had a leak that I didn't find. Check ALL the fittings again.

Back