Does pressure inhibit fermentation/conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tippetsnapper

Reaction score
When racking to kegs from fermenter to force-carb and serve, does the pressure required to seat the lid (I use 25-30 to be sure no leaks) inhibit the effects of aging like you would in the bottle?

What if I kept the keg hooked to gas at 30 to carb it, will it still 'condition' under those pressures? Can yeast not do their job or will I create a keg bomb (rated for 130 psi, so I doubt) if racked too early?

Lastly, if all this is done in my fridge, which is in the 35-40 F range, will that prohibit conditioning/aging?

I've never found that having the beer under pressure makes a difference as far as conditioning goes. Now, trying to condition while the beer is cold will still work, just take a lot longer. I carbonate beers warm all the time, (one of the advantages to having multiple CO2 tanks). As far as a "keg bomb".... ideally you shouldn't be racking to the keg before you've reached your final gravity, so the yeast shouldn't be producing any more residual CO2. Surely not enough to blow a keg.

Latest posts

Back