Does kegging affect taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Turtlehead

Reaction score
For those of you that have bottled part of a batch and kegged the rest, have you found any differences in taste? I would imagine you would get better or more consistent carbonation from the kegging, but has the actual flavor of the beer been better or the same between the two storage techniques? (Assuming you've let the bottles condition long enough.)

I think it's better. Without bottle conditioning, you don't have the possibilities of the yeast adding more flavors that you don't want. Don't get me wrong - I will still bottle hefes, belgian wits, etc... but for clean beers you can't beat kegging.

Kegging all the way! I just had a sneaky first taste of my first kegging attempt - after only 5 days in the keg - and it's much better, taste wise, than my previous bottling efforts. Plus the head retention is excellent, and its infinately easier to keg than to bottle.

mysterio said:
Kegging all the way! I just had a sneaky first taste of my first kegging attempt - after only 5 days in the keg - and it's much better, taste wise, than my previous bottling efforts. Plus the head retention is excellent, and its infinately easier to keg than to bottle.

ditto that!!

My first keg is WAY better than previous bottling from ease of use, time involved, even aesthetics like head retention and clarity. Yes, it does taste better than most. But I'm fairly new and don't have tons of reference to compare to.

Plus, drinking from the keg is just plain cool.

I have no evidence or proof but I swear beer is better from a keg. I've always liked commercial beer more from a keg than a bottle and now that I'm kegging my home brew it reaffirms my view. I would say without a doubt my home brews are better in the keg.

Back