Confused by Cornelius keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impetus19

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just am getting into kegging for the first time and i ran into an issue already.
The corny keg i bought does not have posts??
The lid appears to have the fittings for the liquid and gas locks/valves.

I have searched and have come up dry, does anyone sell the liquid and gas valve fittings for this style of keg?

I am ready to just scrap it or use it as a fermenter right now, unless i can find the correct fittings.

I can post a picture if that helps

Thanks

Yeah, I need to see this! Is it a Cornelius, or Firestone? WOW, I need to see this!

At first look I thought it was converted to a sanke keg, but it looks like it was used for fermenting. You can see where the posts were covered by some type of plug, it may not be worth the cost to get it back to being a homebrew corny. Is the lid air tight? Mabey you can just buy two posts (liquid and gas) and screw them back in

Never seen anything like that... it should say something like Challenger V, or Challenger VI or something as well...

I am at a total loss, never seen anything like it... no dip tubes inside or anything??

I have never seen a top like that, is there something hiding under those "nodules" of what look like plastic or rubber, near the lid?

Although the seller posted pictures, he didn't do justice in the write-up and in my opinion gave no indication that it was different than a regular keg. You got hosed.

If the holes to the posts can still be accessed you could rebuild the keg with a new lid, posts and dip tube, but by that point you'll have enven more money invested than a useful used keg would cost.

My recommendation, use it for lagering or as a dedicated secondary fermentation vessel for extended aging.

Holy crap, I can buy 3 cornies for the price of that tapper thingy. Dont get me wrong, I love tapping things, but only if they are cheap, I dont like tapping expensive things!

i actually found a couple for a bit cheaper but anyone have any idea what type of gas and liquid line fittings i would need for this?

Dont really think it is worth it. Not really upset about it, just need to get another keg.. live and learn

Appreciate everyones help..

i actually found a couple for a bit cheaper but anyone have any idea what type of gas and liquid line fittings i would need for this?

Dont really think it is worth it. Not really upset about it, just need to get another keg.. live and learn

Appreciate everyones help..

Well, in addition to the Hoff-Stevens coupler, you'd need this:

Connectors for Beer Lines Replacement Parts - Keg Couplers - KegWorks

...too attach the beer line. The CO2 line fits onto the coupler as is. I happen to have a Hoff-Stevens coupler because the local brewpub distributes hoff-stevens kegs. But I'm not sure it'd be worth the expense for one corny.

So i just attempted to carbonate my brew using this keg and beer shot out through the liquid valve...

Is there anyway to close it so i can pressurize the keg?

Back