cleaning out keg insides

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Took Kob's advice and tore down one of the kegs to become familiar with it. Did learn some things, a deep well standard 13/16 socket will not fit. Had to go with a box end, but works. I could tell the seals were pretty new. Insides were really clean and took some Bartenders Friend powder and scrubbed the outside down some more and got a pretty good shine. I like my stuff to look good. Anyway, I've read some posts on taking out the fill tube inside the tank. How do you do that? Also, the dispensing tube is flush with the bottom of the tank. I thought I read somewhere that it's better to cut about a quarter of an inch off that line to help prevent sediment.
Once the nut is off of the gas/liquid lines, how does the rest come off? Also, what would be the absolute best way to sanitize these things? I guess it's more like how do you sanitize the dispensing tube?

Anyway, I've read some posts on taking out the fill tube inside the tank. How do you do that?

Reach inside, grab the tube-- push up firmly. Once you've got it opened up, that dip tube is not held in by anything

Also, the dispensing tube is flush with the bottom of the tank. I thought I read somewhere that it's better to cut about a quarter of an inch off that line to help prevent sediment.

Don't bother. Your first beer or 2 might have some sediment in it (and there's nothing wrong with or harmful about sediment) but other than that there's no downside.

Also, what would be the absolute best way to sanitize these things? I guess it's more like how do you sanitize the dispensing tube?

Treat it the same way you treat your racking cane.

Thanks Kob. I was afraid to experiment on it without knowing first. Once you take the 13/16 nuts off the top, like on the gas side and liquid out side, how does those actual ball valves come out? They just push out???? Is there a nut underneath that I can't see? Seems they were on there pretty tight after I took off the outer nut.

I'm certainly no expert at these things, but I didn't break mine down any further than:
1) opening the center hatch (and removing the large o-ring)
2) unscrewing the "in" port and leaving it in one piece
3) unscrewing the "out" port
4) removing the "out tube" from the inside of the keg

Next, I rinsed everything in tap water to get the cleaning solution off (the stuff that Midwest uses and sends inside the keg)

I then sanitized it my dunking the center hatch, large o-ring, and in/out attachment ports in 1-step, then I re-assembled everything and filled it with boiling water from my brewpot.

Did I break it down far enough to clean and sanitize it all? I figured that the boling water would take care of anything living inside it, even if there was some little o-ring crevise that I missed durning basic cleaning.

Maybe this helps,
Focus

Okay-- each post has 5 parts to it.

The post itself
a post o-ring
a poppet valve
a dip tube
a dip tube gasket

The post assembly is held togehter only by the post being tightened onto the keg. Once you remove the post the poppet and dip tube can be pushed out without tools (sometimes I have to use a ball point pen to pop the poppet out of the post though).

When you tear this down you'll want to do a complete disassembly so you can inspect as much of it as possible since these come into contact with either all the CO2 in your beer or every drop of beer you serve. If they've built up gunk inside you've got risk.

Clean them like you'd clean anything else you use for brewing. Then sanitize them like you'd sanitize anything else that touches your beer.

Back