Clarity in Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to use any finings my last three batches (It'd been a year since I brewed) and they're still pretty cloudy - the one bottled batch as well. I'm chalking it up as a learning experience.

I've always used Irish moss in my brew, but never made it a point to cold crash my wort fast enough, and still ended up having a cloudy beer. So in my findings either a ton of Irish moss needs to be used, or chill your wort to pitching temps within 15 minutes will help with clarity. If ya do that and still have cloudy beer, gelatin or if your desperate enough filtering is about the only options left.

Whirlpooling with a 10 minute rest and then cooling the wort as quickly as possible with a wort chiller and then siphoning the wort from the kettle into the fermenter has worked wonders for all of my beers.
As others have suggested a good cold crash and the addition of gelatin a 48 hours in advance of bottling will work well too if you still have chill haze problems.

The ordinary bitter I'm brewing is clearing in the bottle right now. Sort of incredible actually - top half of the bottle is crystal clear, bottom half is murky. Very pleased and I expect it to settle out completely quite soon.

You may find that once you chill your bottles the beer will get cloudy, unless you lucky. My Irish red was crystal clear before it hit the refrigerator.

Chill haze usually goes away a couple weeks after chilling. On the downside, my beer's always gone before it's been in the fridge a week. On the upside, that's because it's delicious. :mug:

Chill haze is also from protein in solution. Filter it out, add finings or wait and it will eventually settle out in my experience.

I now clear nearly all of my beers with gelatin, and I've noticed that they have a much cleaner character to them than before. It might be in my head, but I'm gonna roll with it regardless.

Back