New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > be careful with portable co2 charger...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
stevea1210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default be careful with portable co2 charger...

I just bought a portable co2 dispensor from my LHBS. I took it home, put a cartridge in it, hooked a QD to it. That was when I made a big mistake. As I was walking over to a keg to test it out, I gave just the smallest squeeze to the trigger. The pressure blew apart the QD in my hand and emptied the cartridge right onto it.

It HURT LIKE HELL. My hand was quite swollen for an hour or so. Luckily no long term damage, and I got lucky nothing flew into my eye. IT does say in the instructions to only hook it to a QD once the QD is attached to the keg. there is a very good reason why. The problem with hooking the QD to the keg first is the co2 in the keg starts venting out until you get the injector hooked to it.

You have been warned!!!

I do have a question concerning the QD. It came apart but doesn't apear to be damaged. The three pieces go back together fine. Has anyone taken their QD apart and used it again? do you think I should attempt to use this one, or chalk it up to lesson learned and toss it?

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always take my QD's apart to clean them or I'm never convinced they're totally clean. In your case I'd be concerned that the threads were damaged however. You could hook it up to a keg and see if it holds pressure, if so you're probably OK.

As for the charger, you can connect it to the QD before hooking up to the keg - just don't squeeze the trigger.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 10-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

600 psi will do that. If you use it at a party, I strongly recommend you keep it in your pocket and re-charge the keg(s) as necessary. I wouldn't even connect it until 4-5 pints have been drawn. New relief valves aren't cheap.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply